Mamiya C330 TLR... HELP!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Step-One-Seven, May 21, 2008.

1. Step-One-Seven

Step-One-Seven Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just received my "new" Mamiya 330f with 135 mm lens. Everything appears mechanically functional, but the lens assembly seems "wiggly" when mounted. The spring clamp, etc. is properly seated and everything else seems tight.

Is this normal?

Thx!
    Brady

2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you turn the Lock-Unlock button on the left hand side to the "Lock" position?

3. Step-One-Seven

Step-One-Seven Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    yeah... the lens seems to be mounted fine, it's just wiggly from left to right...

4. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wiggly like 1 or 2 mm wiggly? Or wiggly like really, really wiggly?

With my C3 and assorted lenses, a slight movement (the 1 or 2 mm I mentioned) of the lenses from left to right is possible. If that's all, I shouldn't really worry about it.

If it's more, or if the lens is very easy to move (by means of gravity for example), then... I wouldn't know what's the matter.

5. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Step 1-7,
    Have you been here, seen this: Mamiya 330F Manual.

Note: $3 bucks is way cheap so please DO NOT screw this guy (Mike).

Terry

6. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. FilmIs4Ever

FilmIs4Ever Member

As long as it's not wiggling a sixteenth of an inch when the picture's being taken, it's OK :smile:

I don't own a 330, but I use a C220 as my backup camera, and a slight bit of play with the lens, WHEN YOU ARE PLAYING WITH IT, is normal, but you shouldn't have it rattling around while you're using the camera.

I doubt this will really impact your photos (shoot a test roll of 120, 120's cheap, right?) but you may want to send the camera in for servicing if you suspect that the meetal grasps that hold the lens in place are getting loose.

8. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Step-One-Seven

Step-One-Seven Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got the manual (original came with)... The lenses are tight in the assembly mount, it's the assembly that wiggles. Further diagnosis shows that the "looseness" is actually at the top of the assembly, where the bend in the wire clamp SHOULD contact the lens assembly. The lens assembly is rocking vertically, pivoting around the attachment point at the bottom. I'm thinking I can use some foam or something on the top part of the lens assembly to shim under the wire clamp. Doesn't seem like it ought to move this much. The top will pivot "out" a good 3 mm or so...

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If the top wire clamp is not contacting the lensboard, that is your problem. Bend the clamp back to where it should be and you will be fine. The bottom of the clamp should hit the lensboard first, on the bottom, then the top of the clamp follows, on the top of the lensboard, with some additional pressure. Then you clip it. Then you turn the knob back to lock.

Last edited by a moderator: May 21, 2008
  11. Ian Tindale

Ian Tindale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Photograph the problem, so that we can see what you mean.

12. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Step-One-Seven

Step-One-Seven Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    should've thought to take a digital snap of the issue. Did some "attitude adjustment" on the spring clamp and she's locking up nice and tight now. Finishing first roll off tomorrow morning, then into the tank to see if that fixed it...