Mamiya C330S body not working properly with cable release

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by DanielStone, May 15, 2012.

1. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just took receipt of a rather worn C330 Pro S body and 80mm lens this afternoon, got them from Columbus Camera on e***. Went out to burn a test roll or two, and after some fumbling with the new cam, I found that once set up to try a close-up, and the camera locked down on a tripod, it didn't want to work with a cable release :sad:. This is a LONG-THROW(like 1.25" throw at full extension) release, so that wasn't the problem, but if I pressed down on the release lever a little more, it tripped the lens. Not very nice IMO... Once pushed past a certain point too, the lever release locks up too, so you have to manually trip the lever on the lens. EVEN MORE MADDENING :blink:.

So, still need to develop the test rolls from this afternoon's shooting in the front yard, but wanted to check and see if anyone else had ever run into this problem before.

thanks

Dan

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which lever are you pressing down on?

Any chance that the shutter release lock is catching a bit?

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pushing the long lever with the black triangle-shaped thingy on it. It makes direct contact with the release armature on the shutter. But when using a cable release, it doesn't push it down far enough. Could adding a few layers of gaffer's tape aid that in working better?

-Dan

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I am confused.

To attach a cable release to the camera, you should be screwing it into the cable release socket in the lower shutter release button.

Are you attaching the cable release in some other way?

5. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I'm screwing it into the cable release socket :smile:. Its just that with a cable release, it isn't getting the arm down enough on the shutter to release it... I just put some tape on the release arm, and it seems to be working much better now, so almost problem solved. I need to find a more durable solution than tape :wink:

-Dan

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm still confused. Has to be the shutter lock sticking slightly, unless you don't have the lens assy mounted correctly, or it's a damaged shutter trip lever on the lens. Other possibility may be dirty internals on the body.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Iv'e been using Mamiya C TLRs for more than twenty years, and I think the problem could be your cable release, in that the camera needs one that when the plunger is pressed a long length of the central core needs to come out to trip the shutter, I had this problem when I first tried to use the cameras with a short cable release meant for 35 mm cameras I suggest you look for one as I have described and try it, the one I use is about two feet long.

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2012
  8. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the same problem with the cable release which worked fine with 35 mm gear. The outer sheath just wasn't stiff enough. New and expensive Nikon cable now works like a dream.

9. 2bits

2bits Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Benjiboy and Jojje got it right! I have run into the same problem in the past w/the plunger being to short for the camera.
    2bits

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be nice to know if what I suggested did the trick.