Mamiya Floating element explanation?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Tom Nutter, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Tom Nutter

Tom Nutter Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I got a really good deal on a 65mm M-LA lens for my RZ67.....No manual of course.

Would it be possible for someone to explain how to properly adjust the floating element? I'm assuming you set it according to your distance and f-stop as if setting the hyperfocal distance on a Nikon, but I'm not sure. Thanks!:confused:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2009
  2. panastasia

panastasia Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    It works as a function of distance to the subject. Match the lens scale to the distance scale. Hyper focal distance is set by the bellows draw (or distance) scale - where both settings originate. Most of the time I just leave it set on infinity unless I'm being real critical about flat field focusing. It doesn't focus the lens per say, but gives you more accurate focus in the corners of your image when focusing close. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  3. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tom, if you want it this site will have a (free) pdf of the lens manual, and manuals for most of the rest of the RB system, and tons of other interesting old cameras.

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/