Mamiya lens production change?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jbox, May 13, 2013.

1. Jbox

Jbox Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums and medium format. The system that I decided to try is the Mamiya RZ67 because I am interested in the larger side of medium format. One of the lenses that I have purchased so far is the 50 ULD. I was able to find one in "new" condition from a 3rd party seller on amazon for what I think a reasonable price. Everything is fine with it except that I noticed one difference between this one and all of the pictures of this lens that I have seen online. The one that I have doesn't have the name "SEIKO" marked on the bottom of the lens barrel where the pictures show that it should be. Further, all of my other used RZ67 lenses say Seiko on the bottom. Does anyone else have a 50 ULD without the Seiko marking on the bottom? I know that this is probably nothing to worry about, but it keeps bothering me. I guess that when you spend this much on a single item, you don't want there to be anything unusual about it. :smile:

Also, if this is a production change, does it mean that Seiko is no longer making the shutters for the newer copies of the RZ67 lenses?

Thanks for any info!

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Quick question: do the pictures from the lens look like they should? because if so, who cares right?

Welcome to APUG btw, and you'll love the RZ. It's a great all around system.

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! As K.S. Klain mention I wouldn't worry about it.

Jeff

4. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    I guess I have never noticed seiko written on any of them...

5. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think seiko is shutter mechanism maker , its good for you , not bad.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!

Don't worry about it. Be happy.

7. Jbox

Jbox Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First off, thanks for the welcome!

I have not had a chance to have my test rolls developed, so I cannot speak to this yet. But I take your point.

I'm not saying that it is good or bad that Seiko is the shutter maker or not, I am just interested to know if there has been a change of makers.

I would still be interested to hear from others who have this lens.

8. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have this lens (And many others for the RZ system). Seiko makes all the shutters, and always has. The missing name is odd but nothing to worry about. 50ULD is a fantastic lens, esp. considering it's a retrofocus design. Even the normal non-ULD 50 is a very good lens (despite what you might read online). Really, basically all the lenses in the RZ system are excellent, no real dogs that I have encountered so far.