Mamiya Macro Spacer vs. Auto-Ext Ring

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by revdocjim, May 30, 2011.

1. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need some guidance. I bought the Mamiya-Sekor Macro C 80/4 lens today. I downloaded the manual for this lens and it talks about using the Macro Spacer to obtain 1:1 magnification. Without it you can get 1:2 magnification. There is a setting on the lens that needs to be set appropriately for using and not using the Macro Spacer.

Now here's my question. I already have a set of 3 genuine Mamiya Auto-Extention Rings (1,2 & 3). Ring #3 looks to be about the same length as the Macro Spacer pictured in the lens manual.

Does anyone know whether the macro spacer and these auto-extention rings are interchangeable? And if so, do I set the selector switch on the lens the same way?

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    You can use your existing extension rings to get closer up focus. It is not necessary to change the lens setting for matched spacer. I believe it is used mainly so the calibration for magnification scale on the lens is correct for use with the macro spacer. I guess that would be used for exposure calculations if you didn't have through-the-lens metering.

Jon

3. revdocjim

revdocjim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Jon. I wasn't sure exactly what the selection setting on the lens was doing but upon closer inspection I see that it is related to the magnification scale and doesn't really change anything else! I'll give it a try with my auto-ext.