Mamiya Pro Backs - Inserts Interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by photobizzz, Jun 12, 2010.

1. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well since I will be having a surgery on Monday I have put my LF cameras to the side for a few months while I heal, just toting them around will be too much.

I just sprung for a Mamiya Pro body with AE finder, 120 back, Power Grip II, Polaroid back, Polaroid riser, electromagnetic cable release, and 55-110 & 105-210mm lenses.

Here is my issue, I want to buy some 120 inserts with cases so I can pre-load them rather than just have to buy a couple of whole backs. Now Adorama has some for $20 each but I am not sure that they will work, they say that they are for the Mamiya 645M body. They look the same but I don't want to buy them if they won't work.

Does anyone have this same camera and have bought just inserts like I am wanting to do? If so which ones did you buy? I appreciate your help.

Here is the one that is $20 with case. Insert

Here is the one that is the whole back. Back with insert

Really the question is... can I buy inserts for this camera or do I have to buy whole backs.

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The inserts are interchangeable between all the Mamiya manual focus bodies and backs.

You just have to make sure to avoid inserts from the Auto-focus cameras.

I expect that the "M645" (not 645M) in the Adorama listings is their shorthand for the manual focus Mamiya 645 line.

PS - good luck with the surgery!

3. photobizzz

photobizzz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! That is all I needed to know! Will save me a bundle by just buying the inserts with cases. I can just pop them in and put the exposed one back in the empty case. Will save space too. Thanks Matt!

4. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good to know that the inserts are interchangeable. I was under the impression that the later 645 models with the interchangeable backs had a different type of insert in them. I ave a M645, and hope to pick up a second, more modern, body at some point.

Also, KEH has the 120 inserts for less than $20, some even as low as $8 in EX condition. I ordered two a while back from them and both came with the case.

5. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Do you want to sell your polaroid riser?