Mamiya RB prism - difference?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tkamiya, Sep 20, 2012.

1. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Mamiya RB-SD. Can someone tell me what the differences are between the old style prism and model-2? I know model-2 can work with both RB and RZ but that's not one of my concerns. I also know older types are heavy.

Are there any difference in usability or anything else??

2. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a model 2 Prism and the metered prism. The model 2 prism is made for the RB and can be used on an RZ. The metered prism is not coupled to the camera and if I remember correctly, it runs off of the camera battery. Both are big chunks of glass.

3. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

No one had both at one point to compare??

I'm actually not that interested in metered prism but thanks for the info. RB doesn't have a battery though.

4. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both

I've done some comparisons with my hand held Minolta spot meter and the meter is OK. It's just takes an average reading. May or may not work if you're persnickety about your readings.

5. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Other than the metering part, is one better than the other??? Which do you prefer?

6. Mainecoonmaniac

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer the newer one with the meter. I don't know if it's the age of the prism of the model 2, but the prism glass looks yellowish. Maybe another APUGer can explain. Both are cheap on Ebay. You can buy them for $100 or less.