Mamiya RB67 lens

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jeff Kubach, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today I received an 90 C for my RB67 from KEH. Looks almost brand new! Even tough it was BGN. I'm going to use it tomorrow. I can't hardly wait. :smile:

Jeff

2. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    You need to bang it up a bit first it sounds like...LOL

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D:D:D!

Jeff

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you look at how KEH arrives at a "BGN" rating, you'll be amazed how really minor things are overweighted. Just make up a fictional lens and run it through their rating system and you will see. Their rating system severely overweights things that play no role in the actual value of the lens, in my opinion. And they do this in spite of a liberal return policy that should convince almost everybody that it's worthwhile to go for the bargains and simply return them if they aren't up to snuff.

The good news, for buyers, is that the lens you get, even if rated BGN, is typically very good. The bad news, for sellers, is that you get low offers for lenses that are almost perfect, and you'd typically be better off selling by other means.

Anyway, here are some things to look out for with RB lenses: check all the speeds (I used to use instant film to do this, and that has now become a bit too precious for that!). Also check the bulb and other settings. Also check that the lens mounts and dismounts smoothly... from what I've seen, sometimes people forget to cock the lens before removing it, then pry on it like a monkey and mess something up (albeit usually only a cosmetic issue).

5. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info!

Jeff

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm....
    my luck with bargain grade hasn't been too great lately.
    I had to send the last 2 back due to excessive inner dust and a mar/scratch on the front element.
    One before that was beat to heck cosmetically but the glass was good so I kept it.

Add to this I had to hound them for a month to get them to credit back my money on the returned items. I complained loadly considering I was told 15 days to get credited and it took 30+.

Seems thay used to be wayyyy better.

7. stradibarrius

stradibarrius Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have always had great experiences with KEH! I have had one return and they quickly took care of it. Hopefully your experience is just a fluke???

8. macheesemo

macheesemo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just ordered a $115 "BGN" 150mm for the Mamiya 645 1000s that should be arriving at any moment... f/3.8 w/ leaf shutter- pretty cool! I think this is going to be the lens I use a lot for soft-box attachment on my Vivitar 283 for fill flash since the leaf shutter will synch with it... Also picked up a f/2.8 80mm.... Hoping to be enjoying these "pitfalls" of the KEH rating system ASAP!

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2010
  10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have run a roll of film through my RB67 with the 90C lens on it. Looks like everything is OK!

Jeff

11. rulnacco

rulnacco Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, Jeff!

Hope you have fun with that 90C. I bought one from KEH, too, Bargain grade. It is stunningly sharp. I did have to take it in for repairs shortly after getting it, as a couple of internal screws had worked loose, and the sync socket can be a bit undependable--I'm gonna need to see to that. But cosmetically it was fine, and the glass is excellent.

I've also acquired from KEH a 127C (also very, very sharp, no problems with it), a 180C (again, mechanically perfect, but *merely* sharp) and a 50C which I haven't had time to test adequately yet, although it did have a sticky shutter which had to be tended to right away. I'm thinking about a 65 soon, as they're so cheap.

KEH makes it so easy to kit yourself out frugally with a system that a little over a decade ago would have cost thousands of dollars. I loved that the 220 backs cost so little--I've been burning up the supply of 220 Provia and NPS that I stocked up on and stashed in the freezer when the pros were all going digital. Too bad there's no one producing 220 black & white film now that Kodak has discontinued TXP in that length.