Mamiya RB67- shutter not firing when lens is attached

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Grae, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Grae

Grae Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I bought 3 RB67 bodies recently, with backs, and picked up a lens seperately. The bodies all fired perfectly well when the lens wasn't attached, but with the lens on the shutters all seem to stick and won't fully raise. Does anyone have any advice- I'm bemused because I tried the bodies with a different lens (belonging to the man I bought the bodies off) and all of them fired perfectly well with that one. Is it a faulty lens, or me not assembling it correctly?
    Thanks!

2. djhopscotch

djhopscotch Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Lens is most likely gummed up. Can you fire it when it is detached from the bodies?

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any chance the mirror lock-up on the lens is engaged?

4. Grae

Grae Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can fire the lens when it isnt attached- and the mirror lock up isn't engaged. I tried it when it was on as well. I've just been trying everything, even things I knew wouldn't help!

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You probably know this, but be sure that both the body and lens shutters are cocked when you mount the lens.

Also check that the dark slide and rotating back and film advance interlocks aren't "confused".

6. Grae

Grae Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yep, I've made sure the body and lens shutters are cocked. What do you mean by "confused"?

7. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I find it odd that 3 bodies would do the same thing. That makes me suspet the lens since the bodies fire without a it.

Fire the lens off body? Is it giving resistance when rotating the pins to fire it? Is the shutter closing properly when fired off camera? Do you have access to other lenses to try?

Take a look at the leatherete on the bodies? Does it look like someone opened the bodies, DIY repairs? You can peel a corner back n look at the screws to see if they look tool damaged at all.

One more thing, and I know this has nothing to do with 3 bodies having the same problem... are the mirror bumpers gummy n rotted?

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have found that if I intermix lens changes, dry firing, dark slide removal, rotating back removal and cocking and firing cameras and lenses, the interlocks can get out of synch.

See if you can find a lens that does work with the bodies, cock the body shutter and wind some film, cock the offending lens' shutter, mount it on the body and try it.

9. Grae

Grae Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There may be someone I can borrow a lens off to test. I will try that and see what happens. Thanks everyone!