MAMIYA RESOURCE BOOK

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by eochief, Dec 3, 2006.

1. eochief

eochief Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    All:

This is my first post here and it certainly seems like APUG is what I've been looking for. I am really keen on moving up to medium format, learning black and white and doing my part to keep digital at bay.

I have just about decided to get into the market for a medium format camera. A used Mamiya seems to be a safe bet although I have not made a final decision.

Can nayone offer a suggestion on a reference book for the various Mamiya medium format models past and current? If such a reference exists that provides the Mamiya INFO along with other medium format makes that would be a plus.

I'm sure I will be back to ask for more advice. Thanks to all.

R/
    MJO

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the forum. I've lived with most of Mamiya's output over the years, currently I'm using an RB67, having just sold a 6x6 TLR. I can vouch for their build quality, but I've never come across a book dealing specifically with the range.

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. mikeklensch

mikeklensch Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When I began my equipment education, I found the book entitled Medium Format Cameras by Peter Williams to be very helpful, and I still reference it today. I think Amazon has them for about $14.00. All of the Mamiya cameras are covered as are most other models.

Mike

5. Elox

Elox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You might look for a used copy of, or interlibrary loan, a copy of "Hove Pro-Guide" Mamiya (by Bob Shell).

6. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your correct in that a used Mamiya seems to be a safe bet for medium format. But since a used Mamiya could be a TLR, SLR, Press, or conceivably even RF, you will need to determine what form(s) of medium format camera you prefer.

And of course, no need to limit yourself to one. :smile:

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try Bob Shell's "Mamiya medium format systems Pro-guide" (Hove Foto books). My copy dates to 1992 and doesn't have the 7 and 7II, but there may be a later edition.

9. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just to note, I can't make the Mamiya site referenced above work in Firefox or Opera. There are lots of links in the sidebar to the left that don't seem to show up in anything but IE.
    juan

10. THardy

THardy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've been wanting a good book on all the accessories, which models they fit and which they don't. For example, many will fit the 645 Super and Pro, others will only fit one or the other. I bought a grip that came without the little adapter, so the button doesn't work. I can't find the adapter but have seen grips with it included. I didn't know when I first bought the camera (grip came from another dealer). I'd really like a good exlpaination of the Connect N system. I've figured out a lot on my own but there's still much more to learn about these cameras. It's my only camera now so I'm spending more time with it.

12. eochief

eochief Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    My thanks to all who have responded with the helpful tips regarding my medium format plan! I guess I left out one bit of INFO on camera of choice.

I am focusing on the used Mamiya SLR's as an option. Not the rangefinders or twin lens cameras.

I've already found the Peter Williams book on camerabooks.com. It does look like the type of reference I've been looking for.
    While educating myself on Nikon, I came across a big Nikon reference which was on it's sixth or seventh edition. It really gave my the Nikon "big picture" I needed prior to my first Nikon purchase. I'm looking for a similar Mamiya reference.

Example: the SLR line has two basic formats and more than one model of each as I've discovered. 645 and 6x7. At this point in my Mamiya knowledge I don't know for certain that the SLR lenses fit either body format.
    I assume they do, but for a Mamiya novice looking for his first camera, that is the type of question that pops up while looking at what is out there.

Still looking for the recommended Hove guide. I hear they are a good reference all around. I'll be back with more questions ! Thanks.

13. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.mamiya.com has always had a lot of embedded ASP code. Totally useless if you are on anything other than an IE/Windows system.

14. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are two copies on http://www.abebooks.com/ Rather expensive though; there must be cheaper copies somewhere.

David.

15. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    intersting, I use firefox with a plugin that spoofs itself as IE, called User Agent Switcher. The site loads fine in firefox when Mamiya.com thinks it's IE.

erie

16. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  17. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Firefox IE tab just encapsulates the IE rendering engine inside the tab. You still have to have IE on the machine.

18. eochief

eochief Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks to all for the advice regarding a Mamiya reference.

It looks like it comes down to three choices for me. The 645, RZ and RB. AF is out of the question for now.

While I am waiting for my book order to arrive, can someone tell me what the difference is between the RB and RZ? I think I already determined the 645 vs RB or RZ models comes down to format with the RB & RZ being 6x7 format vs 6 x 4.5 for the 645 cameras... right ? But what is the disticntion between RB and RZ? I would like to get a better handle on the specs before I purchase therefore the Hove guide looks like my best resource.

Thanks in advance for the help!

19. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interstingly, the plugin I use just reports that it's IE, it's still rendered in Firefox, and doesn't rely whatsoever on IE. The extension is called User Agent Switcher and works like a charm.

erie

20. JRSoto

JRSoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    RB67 is a totally mechanical camera. No electronics of any kind, except if you get an optional metered viewfinder. The RZ67 has electronic shutter control, but it can use almost all the lenses from the RB67, in addition to the RZ versions. When using RB lenses the RZ67 operates in manual mode. Also, the RZ67 can use RB67 film backs with an adapter. The lens selections between the RB67 and RZ67 are almost identical. The RZ67 has additional lenses for perspective control for architecture and product shots. The newer RZ67 Pro IID is compatible with the Mamiya ZD digital back.

The choices are, for a mechanical camera RB67, for an electronic camera RZ67. The RZ67 is lighter because parts are made of plastic. The RB67 is a big piece of metal and is heavier. Identical cameras otherwise. When the RZ67 runs out of battery power the shutter speed defaults to 1/400th of a second, allowing the camera to function to a degree. With the RB67 you will never need to worry about batteries. Big thing, the RB67 can not use any of the RZ67 lenses or film backs. The mamiya website explains all this.

I own an RB67 with a few lenses and film backs. Very reliable camera.

21. eochief

eochief Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I want to jump back into this thread to say thanks again to all who advised me regarding a Mamiya medium format resource book.

After a period of intense research "immersion" in the medium format market it looks like I have decided on a C330 as my first M/F camera. After initially thinking my decision was pre ordained and would certainly be a RB67, a photographer who instructed my first B&W printing workshop commented to me that the 6x6 format shouldn't be overlooked and I then noticed some very nice square prints nicely matted hanging on the wall. My decision was made after a check of the market showed me how reasonable and versatile(relatively) the C330 camera is with it's various lenses and accessories.

I'll be reading the C330 threads here real close, and there are plenty to read, prior to making my purchase. Thanks again for turning me on to the Bob Shel book and regards to all on APUG!

22. Kobin

Kobin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you'll be happy. I love my C330s for set-up landscapes and portraits. I had to get a hefty tripod for it (amvona.com cf for ridiculously low on ebay), but when I got my Crown Graphic (with 135 Optar in Graphlex shutter weighing a pound less than the Mamiya with 180 lens set) I already had a tripod that could carry the weight.

K.

23. egdinger

egdinger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RZ also advances the film and cocks the shutter with one pull of a handle, the RB you have to use 2 different handles.

24. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife uses a 330 and loves it to bits. I never could get on with TLRs myself, I don't know why, but it can cartainly turn out very high image quality on all its lenses.

David.

25. CraigH

CraigH Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like my C330 alot. I have the 80mm & the 180. I do not use the 180 that much. The shutter does not properly cock when on the camera. I have to take the lens off the body to cock the lens.

I also recommend "Mamiya Professional Systems Handbook" by Robb Smith. It was published in 1974 by Amphoto.

Craig