Mamiya rz pro II d

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by k.hendrik, Sep 8, 2010.

1. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Want to buy a new Mamiya rz pro II d; anybody doing business with Cambridge World in NYC ? Got a nice offer 'value pack' from them. But it's bit away from home :sad:

2. djhopscotch

djhopscotch Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    go to KEH, buy a ProII(non-d) with all the trimmings, and I'll bet you'll come out winning $$$-wise.

or craigslist.org, or ebay. Just picked up another ProII body(now a backup finally :smile:) for $150 off of craigslist with a (2) 120 II backs. Almost got another 110mm 2.8 for $100. Deals are out there, and you certainly don't have to buy new.

unless you want to of course :D

-Dan

4. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks ! got some more PM warnings ;( & advice.

5. ContaxRTSFundus

ContaxRTSFundus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I ordered and paid for some Contax equipment from them - never heard a word until I phoned them from the UK and was then told that the item was damaged and they were awaiting a replacement. Months went by and they never delivered.

I just gave up in the end - the phone calls were costing a fortune - and cut my losses. Had I been in the US, I'd have paid them a visit and made them an offer they could not refuse...

6. Lopaka

Lopaka Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pro II and the Pro IId are exactly the same body - the only difference is the IId has the communication protocol for a digital back that would record the lens, f-stop, shutter speed etc. If you buy the Pro II and ever want to use a digi back, you still can - might need an adapter plate, you just won't get all the exposure data communicated to the back. the Pro II can also be upgraded for a price (not cheap). If your primary purpose is the shoot film with this, I concur - go to KEH and snag a used one. I bought a spare body for less than typical repair costs on a Pro II body. Looks like it was never used.

Bob

7. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RZ seem to be at historical lows for a body only. Lens prices are in the gutter also.

Now is time.

8. PaulW128

PaulW128 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would stay away from Cambridge World, go to KEH or even Ebay. There is an Ebay "store" named Shutterblade that has a ton of nice Mamiya equipment. I purchased a 645 Pro TL from them that was very reasonably priced and in great condition.

As others have said, prices of film cameras are so low now it really doesn't pay to buy new

Good luck
    Paul

9. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. I try again : Want to buy a Mamiya rz pro II :wink: anybody doing business with SHUEIDO in Taiwan ?

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  11. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had good luck with Shutterblade on Ebay, also Astrosmith. KEH is usually not too far above ebay prices, sometimes 10-30% higher.

Lens prices are quite cheap compared to new but the desirable ones still fetch some significant money, e.g. 50 ULD, any of the APOs, 65 L/A, shift/short barrel 75, T/S adapter, etc.

-Ed

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the seller wanted new. I've never had to return anything to Shutterblade but their ratings can be overly optimistic. This seems especially true of Mamiya RB/RZ gear which, despite good cosmetics, is usually high mileage pro studio gear. I've done way better with private sellers on the big auction site.

13. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Changed my mind due to a lot of advice !
    I try again : Want to buy an used Mamiya rz pro II.
    Anybody doing business with SHUEIDO in Taiwan ?
    thanks
    k.hendrik

14. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Since we've no clue where you're located, I'd say no if it's shipped to N.America or Europe. RZ bodies, even Pro IId models, aren't that uncommon. Your Taiwan seller is probably OK judging from his feedback but I'd rather buy used from KEH any day. I've good and awful experiences buying from HK. The KEH price premium buys you peace of mind and a no BS return policy. It's your money.

15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll put it this way: Cambridge World is not real world. They will make you unhappy.

16. ContaxRTSFundus

ContaxRTSFundus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, I've bought some Mamiya lenses from Shueido - good value and a reliable shipping service.

17. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll buy all the 50 ULDs and 65 L/A's you can find for $300/ea! The 50 ULD normally goes for more like $600-750, the 65 L/A is more like $400-450+. The non-ULD/non-LA versions are cheaper - around $300. The non-ULD 50 is actually very good, much better than all the forum/internet ranting would lead one to believe. The 50 ULD mainly has improvements close-up (floating element), at longer distances the regular 50 is more than excellent.

The APOs (210, 350, 500) fetch some real $ also, at least $450+ for the 210, $700+ for the 350 and 500. The 180/4.5 W-N is a good alternative to the 210 though, and the non-apo 360 is an excellent lens and usually half the price of the APO but almost as good, in my experience. (plus shorter and lighter)

Have heard good thigngs about SHUEIDO but have not done business with them.

I'd say don't bother paying more for a II vs an original RZ67. There's basically no difference. the half-stop shutter speeds can be had via the AE prism finder.

-Ed

18. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I really wonder how Cambridge World stays in business. I think this is the same joint that used to call themselves Cambridge Camera years and years ago. They had a lousy reputation then, and apparently they still do. Stay away. Stay far away.