Mamiya RZ67, basic questions

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by amirvii, Jan 1, 2011.

1. amirvii

amirvii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just recieved my RZ67 ProII camera that i ordered from ebay. I have some very basic questions and im sorry if they sound stupid.

1. Why does the RZ67 take an battery? Mine came with a 120 back and a wasitlevel viewfinder. I don't really see why there might be a need for a battery. What part of the camera uses the battery and what for exactly? I was able to test out the shutter release and play with the camera without the battery on just wondering what its used for.

2. I seem to have difficulty with Release Button Collar and changing it. Every time i change it from orange dot to red it just doesnt change smoothly and i think its damaging the button or something. Is there a trick to this? And what is the difference between white and red dots?

3. What are the RBL and AEF options for?

I would appreciate any other tips you guys have might have for me with this new camera. I used a Mamiya C330 for 2 years and loved it.

By the way its nice knowing all of you and glad to be part of this great community. Just a little information about me. I'm 21 from Toronto and im in love with analog photography. My Canon D7 is in my closet taking dust since i was introduced to medium format photography. I have a little website if anyone wants to see some of the pictures i took.

www.viiphotography.com

Happy near yea y'all

2. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  3. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the need for the battery arises from the electronically-time shutters on the RZ, even if you are not using an auto-exposure prism. I think there is one shutter speed which works without the battery—1/400, I think.

4. vlasta

vlasta Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1. in-lens shutter is electronically controled, since need for battery.
    Also film back electronically transmit film speed to the body.

3. RBL-position when using old Mamiya RB67 lenses
    AEF - position when using Auto Exposure prism Finder

5. amirvii

amirvii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks for replying back everyone, i went over the manual and got a very good understanding of the camera features

just one quick question which i wasn't able to understand from the manual.

there is a metal screen thing that can be pulled out between the back and the body. Its like this rectangular metal plate. What is that plate used for and what does it do?

6. dande

dande Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The metal plate is called the dark slide and prevents light from exposing the film when the back is removed from the camera. It must be removed to make an exposure. The camera would actually prevent you from making an exposure when the slide is in place. The back cannot be removed unless the dark slide is in place.

7. amirvii

amirvii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks dande

one last question, i purchased a battery for my camera (energizer A544 alkaline). when i put the battery on is there any indication that shows the battery is working and how do i ever find out when the battery runs out?

8. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Learn about the dark slide.

Amirlvii: I don't own a RZ but I do have a RB. The thing dande said about the back not being able to be removed might be when there is film in it. Otherwise I think you probably can take it off with the dark slide in. The other thing is to learn a little about the dark slide. On the RB and probably so on the RZ, you can pull it out a little bit and click the shutter. You might think you have taken a picture, but since the dark slide was there, you didn't. This can be useful for some things, but it can make you think you took a picture when you didn't. On the other hand, if the dark slide is in the camera, you might not be able to click the shutter. (When I say might I'm guessing because the RZ might be different from the RB.) This might make you think the camera is not working. Again it is best to check with others that know the RZ. (Actually, I don't even know the RB that good either.):sad: Ric.

9. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look in the instruction manual for the page about "LED Monitor Lamp and Electronic Warning Sounds" (pages 19 - 20 in the downloaded version).

10. AbbeyFoto

AbbeyFoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just one quick note here - my ProIID manual is not clear. First put the dark slide into the back so you can't make an exposure then turn the selector lever around shutter button to align the white square and circle. When you press the shutter button there is a square led in the center of the lower edge of the finder which glows solid if battery is fully charged and blinks if battery is getting low.

Chris

11. John G1NML

John G1NML Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF

12. amirvii

amirvii Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks
    i tried the above steps and there is a solid orange and red dot. does that indicate that the battery is working? on the manual it says that the orange light indicates that cocking lever is not set. What does this mean exactly? I'm pretty sure i press the cocking lever all the way down. and when your taking pictures im assuming you put the selector lever on the orange dot. There are no lights on the viewfinder if the camera is put on the orange dot. So every time i want to check my camera i have to put selector lever on white dot?

13. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are worrying way too much about the battery. Batteries last a very long time in the RZ.
    That said, do keep a new spare with you at all times.
    Also, place the camera in [shutter lock] when placing the camera in your camera bag.

Normal operations, yes, you place the shutter collar white dot, to body white dot.
    You only place the collar white dot, to body orange dot when the battery is weak or dead.
    The collar white dot, to body red dot turns the camera off, and locks the shutter button.

When the battery is low, the red light in the view finder [blinks], and there is an audible beep sound.

Please read through the manual. Parts 1 and 2 are below.
    Shutter collar positions are on page 18, of part 1.
    Battery warnings are on page 20, of part 1.

http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_rz67_proii-1.pdf

http://www.cameramanuals.org/mamiya_pdf/mamiya_rz67_proii-2.pdf

Also, if you find the manual at this site useful, please send a small donation to the site manager,
    to further fund continued services.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2011