Mamiya RZ67 discontinued...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tnabbott, Jan 17, 2012.

1. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya and Leaf have recently integrated their marketing. A google search of "mamiya rz67" returns numerous hits. Any of the hits that point to Mamiya's Internet are now redirected to: http://www.mamiyaleaf.com/

There is no official announcement that I have seen yet, but the new MamiyaLeaf site only contains marketing for the 645DF line of cameras, nothing on RZ or RB.

Sad, but I am taking this as the end of this line as an active product.

Thoughts??

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt it's discontinued. My sense is that they are trying very hard to stake out the 645 market. No worries, the rz will be available for a long time.

3. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope that is the case. My sense, unfortunately, is that they are discontinuing it in an understated manner because retailers still have the RZIID in stock.

4. tomalophicon

tomalophicon Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Maybe, who knows.
    The Mamiya 7 and RB used to be on the website too.

5. tnabbott

tnabbott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've never used the Mamiya 7, so it did not occur to me, but you are right. Mamiya has abandoned film :-(

6. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On the German Mamiya Website the RZ67 PRO IID as well as the Mamiya 7 II and the two AFD 6x4.5 are still present under products analog. It seem that Mamiya USA has stopped supporting analogue but then they aren't really Mamiya but a reseller after all.

Dominik

7. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suspect that production of new RZ, Pro IId bodies ceased in 2010, with final dealer deliveries in 2011.
    Some dealers still have reserves of new, NOS, RZ, Pro II bodies in stock, along with the newer Pro IId's on the shelves.

Dealers around the world have been dumping their existing stock of new RZ, NOS, lenses for over six months now.
    Sadly, sort of like rats fleeing a sinking ship. Also, dumping NOS, RZ accessories, too.

New, NOS, RZ lenses, have been selling for far less than what some people are asking for used RZ lenses,
    sometimes heavily used RZ lenses.

8. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you look at "The Online Photographer" blog for Monday this week you'll find some reference to the melding of Mamiya and Leaf and as it appears Phase One (who control both companies, apparently) have given Leaf the running on the Mamiya line of cameras I'd guess they're only going to continue with cameras that use the Leaf digital backs. Make sure you read all the comments though as there is information in there as well.

9. Rudeofus

Rudeofus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    At the risk of getting burned on the stake here: AFAIK the RZ67 works with leaf digital backs.

Compatibility with leaf backs alone wouldn't be the reason. But let's be honest: I got my RZ67 Pro IID used but in mint condition for less than 1/4 of what B&H would ask for a new one. Accessories and lenses are even cheaper compared to cost of new equipment. I don't think many people buy new under these circumstances.

10. mattmar10

mattmar10 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know this is an old thread, but has the rz been officially discontinued. I can't seem to find anywhere online to purchase a new one. BH has it listed as no longer available.

11. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EBay of out Hong Kong, Japan, and there is a guy in S. Calif with some new stock remaining.

12. k.hendrik

k.hendrik Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Oren Grad

Oren Grad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Mamiya Japan website has the RB, RZ and 7II camera lines all marked as discontinued ((販売完了品).

http://www.mamiya.co.jp/

14. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I guess that it doesn't seem surprising after looking at the Mamiya website...but it is sad that Mamiya is all done with their film line of solid RZ and Mamiya 7 cameras.

15. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2015