Mamiya RZ67 what filter system to use ?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Havoc, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Havoc

Havoc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Any opinions on which filter system to look into when using the Mamiya RZ67 ? I've never used filters much when shooting digital Nikon cameras so would appreciate any advice on what filters to possibly buy ( I have the 110mm & 65mm lenses ) Many thanks for any feedback or help.

2. djhopscotch

djhopscotch Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use the Cokin-P system for my rb67 set up. I use cokin lens caps on so i can just leave the rings on each lens. I use a mix of Cokin and Hi-Tech filters in the holders.

3. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I didn't like the Cokin/Lee style, although I know a lot of people enjoy it. I prefer 77mm screw-in filters for my RZ, which is the standard size on all the lenses. If I did more wide open landscapes, I might like the Cokins since you can position ND filters with great precision for sunsets/skies. However, when photographing architecture (my primary style), where the house/building is prominent, the ND filter is not much help due to the unique shape of the buildings in each composition.

Most of my filters are the B+W with couple Nikons in the mix - no point spending $500 on good glass to put a $12 eBay knockoff in front.

4. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    so far I like the screw-on ones. I have the yellow8 tiffen and just ordered a neutral density one and an 80A in case I need them. all are the 77mm ones -all my lenses are those. I'm new to the RZ but loving it after shooting 5 rolls now and several instant ones with the polaroid back.

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use 77mm screw-ons. For the fisheye you can use a screw-on rear filter. To economize, you may be able to use a (much smaller!) rear filter for other lenses too, but this should be done with all due caution.

6. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the Cokin system and I do not like it. I standardized on a set of 77mm Hoya filters and appropriate adapter rings for each. It costs more initially but it's far more convenient for my use.

For Mamiya RZ lens, you don't even need an adapter ring as they are already 77mm.

By the way, what kind of filter are you talking about? B&W contrast filters or something else? If you want a graduated filters, sometimes you do need to go with Cokin/Lee type if you want to be able to slide it up and down and have a horizon at a location of your choosing.

7. Shootar401

Shootar401 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use the $50 Tiffen filters, they work great for me. Never saw the need to spends hundred on B+W filters.

8. JessicaDittmer

JessicaDittmer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yeah, mine were all $30-$40 range