Mamiya TLR Sekor 55

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by msbarnes, Dec 2, 2011.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the 55mm a good lens? How is the out-of-focus rendering compared to the Mamiya 645 lenses.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2011
  2. tessar

tessar Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't used a Mamiya 645, so I can't compare the out-of-focus rendering but I like the 55mm on my TLR. Perhaps not quite as good as the celebrated 180 Super, but just fine for my purposes.

3. fenderslash

fenderslash Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have all of the Mamiya TLR lenses and the 55mm is probably the one I use most of all. When I'm shooting with this lens I'm almost always aiming for max depth of field, but here are a couple of close up shots that show the bokeh...

[​IMG]
    Spirit Of Ecstasy by fenderslash, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Plymouth Road Runner by fenderslash, on Flickr

4. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 55mm is a superb lens though I wouldn't normally choose it for its bokeh characteristics - I think there are better lenses for this purpose. The specimens I've used have always been sharp (stop down to f8) and quite contrasty - make sure you get the correct hood! This is a good lens to use in the great outdoors. Light and compact. Go for it.

5. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking for a wide-angle lens and the 55mm seems to fit the bill. I'm not trying to be a bokeh freak or anything, but I really dislike harsh bokeh, and the Mamiya 7 is known for that.

I was wondering if the 55mm on the TLR shared a similar reputation; if it did then I'd opt for a 645 camera like the ones offered from Mamiya, Pentax, Bronica, or maybe even Fuji. The 55mm on this camera seems worthwhile; although a bit slower than the 645 SLR's.