Mamiyaflex Shutter Repair?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by htmlguru4242, Oct 2, 2012.

1. htmlguru4242

htmlguru4242 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I pulled my Mamiyaflex out of the closet the other day, only to discover that the shutter is ... grumpy.

It fires on the highest speed, but on anythieng below 1/100th, it either sticks, or makes a painful noise; it doesn't seem to be timed correctly. Theev B setting does not hold the lens open.

The lever that triggers the shutter also does not pop back up after the shutter fires; I have to pop it back up before I can re-cock the shutter.

Does anyone have suggestions on repairs? DIY? Is there somewhere that I can get this done?

2. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Firstly don't touch it yourself. It sounds as if what lubricant there was has dried out leaving a sticky residue behind. You won't have the equipment and tools to dismantle the shutter and ensure the speeds are accurate afterwards. Take it to a reputable repair engineer and get them to service the lens and the camera body as well.

Being of mechanical construction they will have the skill and know-how to take it all to pieces, clean it, lubricate the shutter and set the speeds afterwards. It will be money very well spent.

3. agfarapid

agfarapid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take it to Essex Camera in NJ (camerarepair.com) Very reputable, they have repaired my Leica's, replaced the bellows on my Fuji and done CLA's on my Mamiya 645 equipment. Fast & trustworthy. You might also consider just getting another lens on e bay or KEH. If the lens your talking about is from the first Mamiyaflex twin lens, maybe it's time to upgrade. Good luck!