Mamyia Polaroid back with Fuji film

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by haris, Jul 3, 2008.

1. haris

haris Guest

Hello,

Can Fuji instant FP films be used into Mamiya RBproS Polaroid back?

Thanks.

2. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use FP polaroid film in my RZ polaroid back so I don't see any problems using this film in an RB back.

Peter

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya never made those backs, so they should all be the same film format, just a different size fiberoptic plate and a different mount.

4. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep - FP100C etc. work fine in the Mamiya RB polaroid back.
    Fiberoptic plate?!

5. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    As everyone else said - yes, it works fine.

To offer an opinion, the Fuji film looks a lot better than the Polaroid - with any luck, there'll be a replacement for the 50 series coming.

6. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, at least for the Mamiya 7 it uses a very interesting fiber optic plate. Looks like a piece of glass, but if you shine a focused light through it, you'll start to see that it is very tightly packed glass fibers to conduct the light from the film plane, way back to where the instant film is kept on the holder. TRhe fibers are stacked in a hexagonal arrangement which they have a patent for (but the name of the manufacturer still escapes me). Obviously resolution is limited to the number of fibers per inch. There was some inforamtion on this on their website (manufacturer not Mamiya) that I found very interesting.

7. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How odd!

I can confirm that the RB67 back uses nothing like this whatsoever ;-)

8. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe NPC made a similar back for the Nikon F2. It needed the fiberoptics to get the image to the film plane since it was actually outside the camera body.

9. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, NPC was the company, thanks.

Must be that the RB/RZ have enough distance between where the back attaches and where the focus is located that they don't need the fiber optics. That should make those backs extremely cheap since it is then just a few rollers and a rectangular container.

10. haris

haris Guest

Thank you all.

Me too remember NPC made (still make?) Polaroid backs for 35mm cameras. I know for sure there were back for EOS3, because I thought once to get it, but price told me not to :smile:

I think they made backs for all "pro" and "semi-pro" cameras which were on market about 10 years ago.

11. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think they are still in business, and now you can finally afford that polaroid back for most any camera from the used market.

12. haris

haris Guest

Thank you all for answers.