Manfrotto panhead

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Truzi, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm... I just discovered I've a Manfrotto 3-way panhead (#3047).

It is completely unused, still in the box. I have no idea why I have it, lol. Either it was given to me by a relative, or I got it cheap many years ago with the intention of using it. Either way, I'd forgotten about it until I cleaned my closet today.

Obviously I need to put it to use. I have a couple tripods that were my grandfather's, he used them for 35mm. They are in good repair, but I don't know if this head needs something substantial, or if I can attach it to just anything that will accept it.

My main camera is a Sears KS-2 (rebranded Ricoh XR-7), but I recently made the mistake of purchasing a Bronica GS-1; a mistake because I feel compelled to purchase all sorts of accessories for it.

I can handle the basic function of this head, but are there any suggestions on how well these work, any quirks, and whether I need a decent/specific tripod?

Sorry, it is NOT for sale.

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 3047 on a 3011 tripod, its a great head for heavy cameras like the GS-1. The 3011 or 3021 are the lightest Manfrotto tripods I'd put it on, it is heavy.

3. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a 3047 on a Bogen 3035 tripod and while it is heavy it will support any of my equipment including a 4x5 and Hasselblad with a 350+2x. Somewhere along the line i changed the handles to the ones with a thicker grip and that made a positive improvement.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find a three way pan head I like using in the studio, particualrly with 4x5, when doing camera movements. Otehrwise, I prefere using a nice ball head.

I am presuming that you have the quick release version.

I do like the hex shaped version, and glad I standardized on it. It is overkill for 35mm, but rock solid on MF and larger cameras.

5. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it has the hex quick-release.

Well, I don't remember how I got this thing, but I think I know why I've not used it. Those tripods are expensive
    Just pulled out my Grandfather's tripod (I don't use tripods much) - Quantaray Titan II QT II-150 Traveler. That's not going to work, lol.

This means I have to add one more thing to the list of stuff I can't afford for the Bronica.