Manual focus + Hammer head flash

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by baachitraka, Jul 16, 2012.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Olympus OM-1n and I love Metz Mecablitz 45 CL-4 analog when used as bounce flash. With manual focusing lenses, I am so used to left-hand focusing but this flash have left-hand grip which makes hard if not possible to focus with right-hand + cock the shutter + release.

I am thinking to fit an additional focusing ring with a handle to turn, if something like this is available.

How you guys are managing it?

2. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why don't you turn the flash around and use it the way you like it? The horizontal bar part comes off at the bracket. Loosen the stainless steel strap and put it the other way and remount the bar....

3. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used multiple potato masher/hammer head flashes on various 35mm cameras over the decades. It's always mounted on the left side, just support the weight of the camera and flash on the heel of your left hand and focus with your left fingers. Right hand grips the camera as usual.

4. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will try but I do not know how easy to cock and fire the shutter. Unless, I have very nice motor drive.

5. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have always use my hammer head, a 60CT4, on the left side and did what Bob said. It's a bit uncomfortable.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cradle your camera in your upturned left palm, with the fingers of your left hand pointing forward and making contact with the bottom of the focussing ring on the lens.

Most likely you will need to brace your left elbow against your stomach/chest.

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Matt said, and that is where your left elbow belongs when supporting a heavy camera/ lens combo, like a Pentax 645 with a 300mm tele on the front of it along with or without a big flash unit. :sad:

Never had a problem advancing film or firing the shutter on any 35mm slr camera with a big flash. Right hand grips and guides the body, three fingers and palm grip the body, thumb on the advance lever and index finger on the shutter button. Left hand supports the weight and fingers do the focusing and tweek the aperture ring if needed.

8. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is easily converted...I have two 45CL flashes, one mounted left and the other mounted right.

9. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is very easy to mount it on right-hand side and with that it is easy to cock the shutter to some extent but the real pain is accessing the exposure button.

Nevertheless, I will mount it on right hand side and try to use the cord to release the exposure and see how difficult or easy it is.

10. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My 3 primary 35mm cameras all have motor drive and I do have the remote cord for them. I wonder how would I attach the button to the flash handle so it would work well?

11. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I know how to design a grip, I would rather design this way
    Grip.png
    Left hand side of grip will have a mount for flash(manual only) which has PC sync port and the bottom plate will have curved extensionw which comes under the focus grip of the lens.