Manual focus Nikon with good viewfinder.

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Amund, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My F100 needs a companion.. While it`s a superfantasticfaboulus camera, it`s not that good for manual focus, the focus screen isn`t half as good as the one in my old Pentax Me Super....

So, wich old Nikon will be the perfect match for my wonderful 105mm f/2.5 Ais?

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F4 . Unless you want some thing lighter?

3. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, I don`t mind a camera with some beef to it :smile: So the F4, even being an AF-camera, has a nice vf?

4. rst

rst Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I second this, in my opinion the F4 is Nikons best manual fokus camera. And should the F4 be too light, take the F4s. If you want something lighter and do not wear glasses, then an FE2 might be an option. Not as dominant a camera as the F4 or F100, more unobstrusive. I have both, an F4s and an FE2 and both have their advantages over the other.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

5. Tommy_Norway

Tommy_Norway Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F3!

6. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say F3HP. If your F4 runs out of juice, it's not good for much. The F3HP viewfinder is REALLY bright and shows 100% of what you get - though, in a way - that can be kind of a liability, since, when you print, you generally eat into the frame a tiny bit anyway...

7. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F3 with the additional option of the DW4 finder

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about just getting a different screen? seems simpler, but perhaps not quite as fun as getting another camera.

9. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

If it was that easy I`d do that, but there aren`t any screens for manual focus for the F100... Yes, there is the Brightscreen, but for what they charge, I can find a new camera....

10. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd vote for an F3 as well - I have an F100 and an F3 and I think they make a great pair. Also, on your F100, have you tried using the electronic rangefinder with your MF lenses?

11. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, I`ve tried the electronic rf, but it`s basically useless for tight portraits, and how I shoot....

12. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Four votes for the F3, two for the F4. Keep em`coming :smile:

13. film_guy

film_guy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What about the FM10? I heard it's a pretty good manual camera.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    F3HP

A F100 (or its big brother F5) together with a F3 is a joyful duo.

I love to load up the AF with some color film for the "easy to grab" shots while also putting a roll of B&W in the F3HP. I often "dupe" shots b/w the two. Of course, being "real" Nikons it means you wind up with two, rather than one, albatross bricks around your neck but heck - it the artistic price we pay! :D

16. ehparis

ehparis Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd get an F3HP for its bright, 100% finder, then pick up a few AIS lenses (or AI). The "feel" of D lenses is part of anyone's manual focus problem. They're just not intended for manual focus and the older lenses focus like a dream.

17. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm the F3HP seems to be in the lead, and it`s the one that appeals most too :smile:

epharis, I have a absolutely fantastic 105mm f/2.5 Ais, and will probably add something wide-ish too...

18. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F3HP is my vote. Beautiful viewfinder. Great camera otherwise too. The only weirdness is the flash connection (no normal hot shoe).

19. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A F2 is also an option, not battery dependent, very strong and durable, and works with a host of inexpensive non AIS lens. Viewfinder is very bright. Down side will not meter with AIS lens, screens and finders may be hard to find. The F3 is a very good camera, I felt it handled better for me than a F2but has a backup to a F100 the F2 has a few advantages.

20. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually the F2 will meter with AI-S lenses... if you have the Photomic or F2A meter head for the F2 you can't meter at full aperture with Series E and autofocus lenses, but you can meter in stop-down mode. AI-S lenses (with the single exception of the newer version of the 50/1.8) have the coupling shoe and meter normally.

Of course you can get an F2AS which has AI meter coupling, and have the best of both worlds.

21. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I forgot about the AIS and F2A head, I had the older head and never upgraded, just bought a F3.

22. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you only manually focus with an F4, then the AA batteries last quite long time. The autofocus and motordrive are what eat up batteries, though even then you can do many rolls on those AAs.

I got an F4S from KEH in January, and recently added a waist level DW-20 finder. Really amazingly bright standard viewfinder, though that waist level finder is a nice change when doing very low angle shots. Nice thing with the F4 is Matrix metering with non-CPU lenses, like all the old AI and AIS lenses. It also connects to much more modern flash gear than an F3, with a much higher flash sync speed for daytime fill flash.

An F3HP is nice for daytime shooting, and weighs less than an F4 (substantially less than an F4S or F4E). The flash shoe is non-standard, though Nikon makes an adapter unit so you could share a Speedlight between your F100 and an F3HP (or an SC-17). You might want to price the adapter, if you think you might use flash on an F3HP (or an F2).

An F2 is nice, though the prices are not. These are nearly collectors item status. I have also found them to be a bit clunky compared to other Nikon bodies, at least with setting shutter speeds. Nice if you find a good price on a used one, but don't buy a beat up body.

Something not mentioned yet is the FM3A. These are actually more expensive than an F4S, if you can even find one. I have the much older FM and FE, though you can also compare the FM2 and FE2. All these allow changing the viewfinder screen, except the original FM. They are light for metal (mostly) camera bodies, and reasonably well balanced with a 105mm f2.5. You might find the viewfinder brightness somewhat comparible to your F100, though not as good as an F4 (or F3).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

23. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The best viewfinder I've seen to date is in the N80; Just switch it to manual focus and custom set it for a gridded screen. Their cheap when used and light and have an incorporated flash for the people pix's. The spot metering option is nice.

24. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your insight Gordon. You`re not making it easier :wink:

I`ve had a FE2 and a FA, and both decided to quit working within the same month(!) Bad luck.....

25. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Wayne, I already have a F100, wich has a much better vf than the N80 IMO, and gridded screen isn`t any help for manual focus...

26. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not enough viewfinder coverage, and it`s not a Nikon(it`s a Cosina rebrand)