Manual focus SLR with AP mode but no DX coding? Good options?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by CHX, Mar 17, 2014.

1. CHX

CHX Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I could really benefit from some advice here. I've had a nightmare of a time deciding on what to go for. I'm currently using a Zenit 11 and Pentax P30, but I really would like something that has consistent build quality, with a solid aperture priority mode, a decent flash sync speed, but either no DX coding or over-ridable DX coding. I've current got a Zenit 18 which is beautiful but has some issue with the electronics that renders it a nice ornament at the moment.

I'm tossing up between:
    * Praktica BX20 - A good option? Reliable?
    * Minolta X500 - Can't find information on wether or not DX coding can be over-ridden.
    * Zenit APK - Hard to find, but Pentax K mount great for choice of affordable lenses.

Are there any other good candidates? My budget is fairly tight (£50 odd for body only).

2. wilper

wilper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about Pentax ME?

No manual shutter speed selection, but it does aperture priority like you requested.
    It uses ordinary LR44 batteries. Uses Pentax K-mount lenses.

3. wilper

wilper Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or a Chinon CE-4?

Manual shutter speed or aperture priority. LR44 batteries, Pentax K-mount lenses. My favorite 35mm camera, liked it so much that I bought a replacement when the first one died (it was worn smooth, I don't suspect issues with bad quality or anything like that.)

4. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Most cameras with DX coding can be over-ridden by using either the dedicated DX over-ride or, if there isn't one, by using the exposure over-ride.

Bests,

David.
    www.dsallen.de

5. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any Canon EOS camera. They have a DX system but you can manually input the film speed if you want to. You can pick up a 3-digit model for around £5.00 and a EOS 50e for about £25.00

6. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Olympus OM-2 or OM-4(my preference).

7. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nikon small chassis EM/FG/FG-20 offer a range of automation and should be cheap with a series E lens.

8. drkhalsa

drkhalsa Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Nikon FG and the Minolta X-370 both have Aperture Priority and manual setting of the film speed.

Either should fit your budget.

9. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Olympus OM-2 or OM-2n should fall within your budget for a very good but not mint one. These have centre-weighted off-the-film metering and are reliable as they were designed for professional use. The things to watch for are sticky foam seals (not a worry as they are pretty easy to diy replace), pinholed shutter curtains (obvious if you old it to the light) and sticking meter needle (it can stick on the end stop and this would require a full service effectively to fix). The flash sync is 1/60th which is normal for fp shutters of this period of manufacture. The OM-2SP also fits the bill if you can find a good one but they can eat batteries and there are more electronics to go wrong. The OM-4ti will flash sync at any speed when used with the F-280 flash and has the fantastic multi-spot metering but will be out of your budget.

10. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Nikon FE is aperture priority with a 1/90 flash-synch speed.

Also, there is the Ricoh KR10 Super, although I find the shutter to be too loud.

The Minolta XG7 is aperture priority, although I would opt for the XD-11, which offers both and is a beautiful camera. You probably will have to re-cover it.

Also, the Yashica FX-D Quartz and its sibling, the Contax 139 Quartz. Don't recall the synch speed, but it should be higher, because it's a vertical metal blade shutter.

And the Rolleiflex SL35 E, 2000F and 3003/3001, which have an excellent offering of Zeiss, Schneider and Rolleinar (made by Mamiya) lenses. However, these bodies have a reputation for faulty electronics - the 3003/3001 less so than the others.

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might the Canon T-90 and one of the FD lenses. `Should be inexpensive.

Jeff

12. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second (or third) the suggestion of a Nikon FE.

13. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The X-700 is a great camera. I have the twin x-570 and it is my favorite. It does not have DX coding. Oh, and well within your budget.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. CHX

CHX Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Loads of options! Thanks, everyone :smile:

16. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would consider the Canon A-1.

17. Kyle M.

Kyle M. Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    A Nikon F3 would be my recomendation, aperture priority and full manual with no DX coding. Having aperture and shutter speed both displayed in the viewfinder is nice as well.

18. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The BX20 had a mixed reputation and as it was not top of the buyers list when it was made, there are very few good examples around now. The Zenit, made in the USSR was a basic manual brick of a camera which had very little going for it, again they have been out of production for quite a while and not easily found. Another one to stay away from. Well I would not buy one!.

Th Minolta X500 is much better than either of the two above. Not as popular as the X700 and not as many made but in my view a better camera. It does not have DX coding, all film speeds are set manually. A good buy if you can find one. The lenses are reasonably priced too and all are available from 20mm (quite rare) up to 300 also quite rare, but anything else including zooms are easy to find. As a starter the 35/70 zoom was absolute cracker and can be picked up for around £30 or so.

You could also look at the Olympus OM10/20/30/40, Pentax ME/ME Super/MV models all quite reasonably priced now. Non of these had DX coding for film speed, but that is something less to go wrong!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2014
  19. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Good shout. The OP is in England and Chinon sold exclusively through Dixons, a high street chain. There are zillions around, and they frequently come with extra lenses, flash, a bag and an easy past life in mature and caring hands. Unlike some cameras, Chinons are rarely thrashed to death.

20. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For £50 an F3 would be the living dead. Or possibly the dead dead.

21. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    CHX,
    As you have already a Pentax, how about a ME Super or the Super A? If you want the latest manual focus with DX and override, how about a MZ-M?
    They are all within your budget.

22. Ap507b

Ap507b Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Nikon F301 perhaps? Aperture priority & DX override & a flash sync of 1/125. Only real downer is no Aperture indication in the viewfinder. As for cost, I paid £12.99 for a body on ebay recently.

23. Copyhat

Copyhat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Konica Autoreflex T3; solid, shutter priority automatic fully mechanical camera from before the days of DX. Depth of field preview, timer release, shutter speed ranging 1/1000 - 1 second + bulb and 1/125 flash synch. Meter is powered by two 1.35v cells that can last for years. Konica Hexanon glass is some of the best out there for 35mm SLR's, the 50mm f/1.7 being just as sharp as the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8.

Nikon FE/FG/FG20; just as small as the Konica, but with fully electronic shutter. It's an entry level camera in my eyes, but one served my Uncle well back in the 80's.

24. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or better, the ME Super instead. Manual shutter speeds 4 seconds to 1/2000, 1/125 flash sync, ASA 12 to 1600.

Inexpensive, easy to find.

25. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Konica TC or FT 1 motor, the FT 1 motor uses AAA batteries, no DX at all, but as with the T3, it is shutter speed priority rather than apature priority. FT has a built in winder, about 2 FPS, manual rewind. A standard kit of glass 28, 50, 135 and 200 easy to find and not too expensive, other Konica glass can be pricy.

26. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are so many good ones out there and almost all of them are very affordable.