Manual focus wide angle compact with built in flash?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by retrogamer1990, Jun 23, 2012.

1. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,
    basically, I'm looking for a 35mm compact with a wide angle (preferably prime) lens with manual focus and a built in flash. The olympus XA4 is the nearest I have found with a 28mm lens, but they are a little over my budget. I've also come across the konica C35 EF but at 38mm the lens isn't as wide as I want. I'm after something wider than 35mm.
    The reason I want manual focus is that I plan on low-light shots and autofocus won't be fast enough in those situations.

Does anyone know of anything that fits the bill?:D

Thanks
    Nick

2. thegman

thegman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you can find one, and find one in budget (likely a lot more than a XA4), there is the Yasuhara T 012, 30mm lens, flash and manual focus.

3. Pumalite

Pumalite Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Olympus XA serves me well. The only thing is lacking is autofocus. But the pictures are great.

4. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I like my XA because it doesn't have AF. The 35mm lens is not wide enough for the OP I think. The Nikon 28Ti has a 28mm lens as well as manual and auto focus but the price is many times that of the olympus XA4 that the op thought was too expensive.

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For lenses with a focal lenth < 35 mm autofocus is not that important. Just set the lens to the hyperfocal distance and shoot away.

6. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes this is why I want a manual focus compact

7. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  8. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many of the later compact AF cameras have a snapshot mode, which basically sets the focus to hyperfocal distance.

9. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you want something very basic, there is the Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim. Basically, a point and shoot with a 22mm lens. One shutter speed. No flash. Best used with a 400 speed film. Vignettes, but the lens is good.

Olympus had three cameras in the 1960s with a 35mm lens. Two were scale focus, one with a meter. A third model had a rangefinder. All are very well made and somewhat pricey. They were called the "Olympus Wide" with the "Olympus Wide-S" being the premium model with the rangefinder, I believe.

I can't think of too many other manual-focus fixed-lens wide angle cameras, aside from those already mentioned.

Personally, I think if you're looking for something compact, you would be well served with a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa L + 25mm Snapshot Skopar or one of the other cameras mated to a Bessa-R2. Or perhaps a screw-mount Leica or even the Minolta/Leica CLE/CLE.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2012
  10. elcabezagrande

elcabezagrande Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are more, but if the OP considers the XA4 to be outside of his price range, then the other options certainly will be.

11. retrogamer1990

retrogamer1990 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the responses, I'm borrowing a Fuji Silvi with the 24mm 2.8 from someone :smile: we shall see how it goes!