Many questions, Beseler Dichro 67

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by tmharter, Mar 2, 2011.

1. tmharter

tmharter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey All,
    Just became the owner of a Beseler Dichro 67 and trying to figure things out searching and reading threads, but just becoming more confused. I just started doing B & W film developing, 35 mm, and printing in the last couple months.

Will this enlarger do the job for a beginner trying to learn?
    The lens is a compono 50 mm f/4.

Will I be able to do 8 x 10 prints? I keep reading conflicting things.
    Are parts for the Printmaker 67 the same as for this enlarger? It came with two negative carriers, 35 mm and slide I believe. Are there other ones available?

What about mixing chamber? I read that the mixing chamber was designed for 6x7 and long exposures are needed for 35 mm. One place I read that 35 mm mixing chambers were available, and at another place I read they were not.

What is the difference between the Dichro 67 and the 67C? I received two pamplets. "BESELER DICHRO 67 COLORHEAD" and "BESELER 67C ENLARGER".

Then again, maybe I don't even know enough to ask the right questions yet! :D

Thanks for any advice.

2. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I might be able to help :smile:.

I purchased a new Beseler 67C in the late 1970s, and used it happily until about 5 years ago. I still have the 67C head.

I purchased a Dichro 67 head for the enlarger about 5 years ago, and used it happily until a couple of years ago, when I purchased an Omega 4x5 enlarger with a Multigrade head.

I still have all my Beseler 67 equipment. I hope to be able to set up a two enlarger darkroom.

Your enlarger is great for a beginner, and will continue to be fully functional as you progress. A Schneider Componon 50mm f/4 lens should be quite usable, although there are more expensive and better lenses available.

8 x 10 will be easy! Depending on how long the column is on your enlarger, 11 x 14 should be quite easy, and larger enlargements quite possible as well. If you get up to 16 x 20 and larger, a better lense might be a good idea.

Is the enlarger column a single small girder, a single larger girder, or a double girder? With my single large girder, 16 x 20 is quite practical on the baseboard.

Some of the accessories for the Printmaker 67 will fit your enlarger - in particular the negative carriers. I have 110, 35mm, 6x4.5, 6x6 and 6x7 carriers for mine. I believe that there are 126 carriers as well. All the carriers are glass-less.

I rarely used the 35mm mixing chamber for 35mm negatives in my enlarger - the 6 x 7 chamber worked fine. If you intend to print large (16 x 20 and up) from 35mm negatives and/or print colour, you might want the option.

The "Dichro 67" designation either refers to the colour head alone (as an accessory) or, sometimes, to an enlarger plus colour head package. A "Beseler 67C Enlarger" most likely refers to the enlarger with the condenser (67C) head.

Over the years, there have been a number of slightly different models, and a number of slightly different colour heads, and they can be confusing. The most important concern is whether your colour head is one that requires a separate voltage regulator (the most recent models have it built in), and whether the one you have is the right one.

Here is a post showing my Beseler in use in my bathroom darkroom:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/10966-darkroom-portraits-66.html#post730908

Hope this helps.

4. tmharter

tmharter Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Many Thanks MattKing,
    You answered everything and more. I am encouraged and looking forward to setting everything up this weekend.

As for a couple questions you asked, my column is a double girder and it does have a separate voltage regulator. I assume it is correct since I bought it as a unit.