mary ellan mark

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by ader, Sep 6, 2003.

1. ader

ader Member

Hi,

does anyone know what sort of camera or film Mary Ellen Mark used ???I'm acutely aware that the camera does not make a great photo, but I was looking at her "american odyssey" and her work is incredible. Her images have a sort of "silvery sheen" or look about them. I heard Mary used a 4X5 but the photos look like there "off the cuff", spontaneous and totally unposed and renowned for being so I don't know if mary could of used a 4x5. on the other hand bruce davidson used a large format for his 100th east street ???? any input about her technique would be great!!!!

ta ade

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most of her work is with 4x5" or Hassy, as far as I know. Not sure which 4x5" she uses.

3. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

Mary Ellen Mark is one of my favorite photographers.
    My understanding is that she started with a Leica rangefinder, which she used for years, suplemented that with Nikon FM2s (manual camera with high fill flash sync speed) for her India pictures. Moved to a Hasselblad and finally to a 4x5 Linholf Technica. In some photo mag article she was quoted as saying that for interior 4x5 she uses a big studio flash that allows her to shoot at f32. She shoots Tri-x in all formats. She still uses all three formats today.
    I like her earlier work best, since her current exterior people shots, particularly the medium format ones seem heavily fill flashed.
    Tom