Mat Boards??

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Nikanon, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Nikanon

Nikanon Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I need mat boards, white, double sided, double weight, i usually use the arista mat boards from freestyle at 16x20 size but i really cant afford all that right now with shipping, is there anywhere i can get double sided white 16x20 mat board for a more reasonable price??

2. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Honestly, good mat board is never cheap and is something you should NEVER, ever, ever, ever try to save money on. Cheap board WILL (not might..WILL) destroy your work in a few years. Anything less than 100% cotton museum board is suicide for your work.

3. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just about every art store I have been into has had displays of extra/leftover pre-cut mats and mounts. Give that a try.

I personally use mats from http://www.nielsen-bainbridge.com/ that I buy from http://www.aifriedman.com/ in NYC. I find their prices reasonable - 11x14 pre-cut 100% museum 8 ply mat & 4 ply board is $8. You have to call them for these as they are not on their website yet.

Regards, Art.

4. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I buy Strathmore Museum board from www.dickblick.com. It is archival and they have the best prices that I have found. I buy whole sheets and cut them myself, but I think they sell smaller sizes or precuts.

5. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, my bad, at my last show, I used pre-cut 16x20 mats, boards and frames from http://www.framedestination.com/ who is an APUG sponsor too. They were really professional, quick and friendly. We should all start supporting APUG sponsors more IMO.

Regards, Art.

6. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found www.redimat.com offers the best prices, but you have to place a minimum $100 order. Still, there's a lot of variety in their product line, and their service is prompt and reliable. If you cut your own mats, they offer pre-sized blanks which allows for an even better price.

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The most difficult thing I have found sourcing pre-cut quality mats is a store that sells them with square windows at a decent price. Anyway, not to hijack this thread. Just had to vent a bit.

Regards, Art.

8. scottmj

scottmj Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  9. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I matted a lot of work when I was in high-school in the 60's. It's all on 'crescent board' - the cheapest board I could find at the time : a heavy grey chipboard with white paper on the display side and blue on the backside. None of this work was stored with any care, and much of it has spent time in a hot attic.

None of the photographs mounted on this board has any evidence of damage. Some of the boards have a slight yellowing around the edges.

If it's not important then there is no point wasting money and environmental resources on expensive board - the cheap stuff seems to hold up for 50 years or so.

If you are selling the work for premium dollar then I agree one should use the best materials commensurate with the price.

10. I agree, to never cheat on any archival materials. Try your local art supply store; see if they can cut whole (32 x 40 inch) sheets to size. If not, shop around some sources online; there are many to choose from. I've ordered from Light Impressions for over twenty years, with great satisfaction. They have a good selection, and are rarely backordered:

http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/

Good luck.

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Michael Smith has taken on a company. Check on his site or email him for info.

13. brofkand

brofkand Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've purchased mat board from Hobby Lobby (an art supply physical store; check and see if they have one in your area) cut using an Xacto blade which was a total pain. Don't do it.

They'll cut it for you too. I don't remember if I had to pay for them to do it though.

I've also used Light Impressions. They have everything you need for archival storage.

14. FM2N

FM2N Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  15. PeterAM

PeterAM Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Frame Destination (www.framedestination.com). Prices are good, service is impeccable. I've dealt with them for several years and have never been disappointed.

16. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have used Light Impressions to purchase mat boards,frames,negative storage materials and other archival products. They sell materials and also custom mats etc. Their products are reliable. I have dealt with them for 30+ years with zero problems.

17. fdi

fdi Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is welcome, and terrific news. I recall you promised that months ago, and now you've delivered. I shall certainly give you my business when I need to order more. Thanks also for being an apug sponsor. Such support deserves the appreciation that becoming a customer offers.

19. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not sure where you are located but Pearl Paint have quite a few locations around the US.
    They have stock sizes and will cut custom sizes. They also sell online, but I am not sure of their shipping charges.

20. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

Richard Boutwell and I have taken over Superior Archival Materials. We have renamed it Lodima Archival Materials, although the web site address is still http://www.superiorarchivalmats.com

We believe we have the lowest prices and the finest board. We have no minimums--from one 8x10 sheet to a box of full size 40x60 8-ply board or more. We are now prompt and promise fast delivery. We can cut overmats in up to 40x60 board and we stock 2-ply, 4-ply, 8-ply in a variety of tones.

We have tried to become an APUG sponsor, but Sean has not responded to our request to become one. We want to become a sponsor with Lodima Archival Materials, Lodima Fine Art Silver Chloride Paper, and Lodima Press, all under the name lodima.org. We are also working on several other Lodima entities.

We will offer a 10% discount off of our already low prices to any APUG member who mentions the discount to us for mat board or for any Lodima Press books.

We ask you all to try our board and our exemplary service.

Thank you.

Michael A. Smith

21. SHbaker11

SHbaker11 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would also recommend the http://www.bdmatboard.com/ - This is where i got all my photo mats for all my photo collections that i use for wall decors. They too have variety of collections to choose from.

22. SHbaker11

SHbaker11 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi! I purchased my matboards and frames for my projects @ BD Matboard where they have a wide variety mat board collections to choose from.