mat for pt/pd

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by pateeid, Jun 7, 2009.

1. pateeid

pateeid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i wonder where/what mat does pt/pd printers prefer? mostly i use ivory mat for my print. how about your guy?:smile:

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Natural white, 8-ply -- from Light Impressions. I hope to find the equivilent from somewhere else, as Light Impressions can be a bit iffy at times, not to mention expensive shipping.

Vaughn

3. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It depends on the paper used for the Pt/pd print. I usually leave a significant border around the print to show the hand coating artifact. So, I would like the paper and the cover mat to be similar in tone.

4. Richard Boutwell

Richard Boutwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I just compared several platinum prints made on Arches Platine and Fabriano Artistico White, developed in potassium oxalate and ammonium citrate, to a sample pack from Lodima Archival Materials.

I am not sure how "Natural White" from Light Impressions compares, but I find the one from Bainbridge to be a little too green for my tastes. Natural White is actually classified as a yellow-green on the Nielsen and Bainbridge website, whereas White and Pearl White are considered neutral whites.

For platinum prints I would recommend using "Pearl White." It is just off-white enough to not clash with the soft, warm whites in the prints and it isn't as dark or yellow as something like Antique White, Cream and Ivory.

5. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    At one time or the other, I haave tried al of the boards mentioned by Richard plus a few others.
    I'm with Vaughn. I have never found a board as pleasing as "Natural White" from LI.
    Jim

6. pateeid

pateeid Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i agree with u Joe. I would considered gallery white and natural white as my tone is little warm. thanks for your guy opinions.
    :>

7. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I do it two ways. One, I use 100% cotton rag pure white 4ply. I use the same board for matt and frame. I leave a 10 mm open boarder to let the black or brown edge show. the second way is to cut the print just like a Azo print and leave a 15mm open boarder to sign and title the print. I like cutting the prints because there is no influence from the darker boarder on how the print should look.

mike andersen