Matsushita TLR camera?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by stevco, Jun 30, 2010.

1. stevco

stevco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,
    I have interested to start some medium format photography with a good not expensive TLR camera, if something good falls in hands, in fact after some reviews I've found on internet and here, many people claim that Minolta Autocord might be a great choice against its fellowship brands in the same level. Also I use Minolta slr and rangefinder, so obviously I would like to have a Minolta tlr too if is enough good.

A seller yesterday offered me a Matsushita TLR camera.
    I asked him today to tell me the characteristics of the camera and to send me pictures, I hope he'll send me asap.
    On internet I couldn't find any information about this kind of camera, not even pictures, nothing.
    I just found that this brand has something with Panasonic.

Does someone knows more about this brand, and its cameras, quality, imaging, reliability, price and other important aspects.

thanx in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2010
  2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stevco,
    For whatever it is worth, let me say I have never heard of this brand TLR. Matsushita is, I believe, the parent company for Panasonic, National Panasonic, National, etc.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's right John, the founder of Panasonic was Mr. Matsushita.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cant find where Matsushita has had anything to do with film or film cameras. I would be curious to see one myself.

5. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My guess is that it's a misreading, perhaps by someone who knows the name Matsushita and let their brain jump to a familiar conclusion. I looked through a couple of lists of Japanese TLRs and couldn't find anything obviously similar, though I did find some pretty appealing names (I want an Elbowflex, just for the sake of the name).

I suppose it could even be a spellchecker correction, come to think of it. Matsushita make enough computer parts (e.g., hard drives) that it wouldn't surprise me to find their name in a spellchecker's dictionary.

-NT

6. stevco

stevco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanx for the comments.

I attached some photos that seller sent me.

He also sent me some links where the same camera is called as Seagull, Chinesse to, a thing that i'm not impressed about.

Attached Files:

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone stuck those stickers on later to make it appear Japanese, not worth a lot.

It's clearly a Seagull 4a, it may be OK but not great :D

Ian

8. Jeff L

Jeff L Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lot's of TLR's out there that are better. The Minolta, Yashicamat, Mamiya, Rollei (cord and flex). Find the right one and you'll be happy.

9. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's an old seagull, I would say leave it alone, there are better TLRs such as Rolleiflex and cord,Mkicrocord,Yashica Etc, Buy a known make second hand and you will get better service than even a new seagull,Richard

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Seagull, signed as made in Japan by Matsushita.

Very, very strange indeed. Or did I overlook something?

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes one of it's owners had a Matsushita item and peeled of the stickers :D

Ian

12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't refuse it if it were a gift, buy wouldn't spend a nickel on it if it were for sale.

13. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Obviously I did not consider the most obvious. Thank you Ian.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's called fraud :D

Ian

16. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Minolta Autocord was a damn good camera. Keep looking. So was the Yashica (124) and Rollei (flex or cord). While too heavy for my needs, the Mamiya is another solid camera that can be found at very attractive prices.

17. stevco

stevco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fellas,
    Thank you very much for your informations!

The camera is not a gift, and in the same time is quite expensive for its characteristics.

To use the topic here: If someone can offer me a good TLR camera, or know a friend who sell, I would be glad to recive some info's, pictures and prices.

18. pgomena

pgomena Member

It's a fraud. Rip-off. Blatant misrepresentation. Seagulls are cheap Chinese cameras and this one looks like it's been through some hard use.

Peter Gomena

19. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fake camera. I am curious, what were they asking for it?

20. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

21. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you search for "Seagull camera" on Google Images, there are lots of pictures and details of this (and other) Chinese cameras. The English lettering below the lens reads "Shanghai, China".

Other than some older-type bulb flashguns under the National brand, I'm not aware that Matsushita had any photographic involvement until the more recent Panasonic/Lumix digital gear.

I've used a Yashica 124G camera from new, and it's given good and reliable performance for general and landscape photography, although it doesn't have the versatility of a 120 SLR for closeup or more technical work.

22. filmamigo

filmamigo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe it was a Seagull that was owned by Matsushita, not made by it.

Lots of big companies attach their name as an "asset tracking" tag to their assets, to discourage those assets from walking out the door in someone's lunch pail.

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In addition to the important and informative comments of others, I would like to point out that rust seems to be seeping from under the covers. Only take it if it is a gift and use it as a book end if and only if you put in on a plastic mat so that the books and bookshelf are not damaged.

Steve

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But then it would bear the sign "Matsushita" or something like that and an inventory number instead of that "made in Japan".

25. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you want to try MF get a Yashica D or 12, they are not expensive and will get your foot in the door.

26. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Makes sense, except that it's hard to work out what Matsushita would be doing with a Seagull. Wouldn't they have bought one of the many Japanese TLRs instead, if for some reason they needed a medium format film camera at all?

Personally, I'm not that inclined to think it's an intentional hoax, simply because it's such a weird one; if you were going to try to elevate the value of a camera, wouldn't you use the nameplate of a company that actually *did* make cameras? Why would a person fake a nonexistent camera?

-NT