Max film size in Yashica Mat

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Thomas Wagner, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Thomas Wagner

Thomas Wagner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am looking at getting a YashicaMat. Will it take 220 film? Am looking at my developing tanks and only have a 220 tank. Realize that I can load 120, but don't want to use that much chemistry to develop 1 roll. It would be nice if I could use larger rolls in the Yashica.

Tom

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your tank takes 1 roll of 220 odds are it'll take two rolls of 120. Which tanks are these?

3. JHannon

JHannon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Tom,
    I have the Yashica Mat 124G and it uses both 120 and 220 film. There are older models. The Yashica Mat 124 also uses both 120 and 220 film.

There are also Yashica Mat EM and LM models and I believe they only take 120 film.

Here is a link to all models: Yashica Mat Information

I hope this helps.

Regards,
    John

4. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Yashica 124 has a pressure plate on the camera back that you adjust for 120 or 220. TRI-X is still available in 220.

Best

Paul

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While it's possible to load two 120 rolls on a 220 reel, and I've done it, I don't recommend it until you're fairly comfortable with the process, and then you should practice first with two scrap rolls in the light before doing it with real pictures.

6. Thomas Wagner

Thomas Wagner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the feedback. I did in fact check out a couple of the links suggested. I am looking at the FM, so I guess I better get another drum. It will not take 220. Being cheap I want to use the minimum developer (one shot) to do the job. Cringing at the thought of taping two 120 rolls together in the change bag.....

7. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

We all hope you're kidding, Thomas :D

8. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think he wants the challenge. Not taping the ends...but Back to Back!

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you could tape the ends and go back to back you could get four rolls on a 220 reel. I haven't gone that far. My biggest tank holds 6 MF reels, and even though I do get backed up, I think I would have to have something like 100 rolls to process before considering doing such a thing, and then I'd probably just switch to deep tanks and cages.

10. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

Also:

Thomas, I hope you do get a Mat, or something similar. TLRs are great fun to use, and the Mat is capable of great results.

If you do get a 124G (or a 124?), be aware of one quirk. They have a selection switch for X or M flash sync. If you use the self-timer with that switch set to M, it jams the shutter............ I think. I know it's something bad. Many people use a small screw, or glue, to lock the switch to the X setting.

11. Doug Bennett

Doug Bennett Member

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Thomas,

In regard to the sync lever moving: I used to tape mine into position, but a couple of years ago, I saw a veteran wedding photographer with a 124G who simply stretched a short rubber band around the sync lever and down to the self-timer lever. It was one of those "Duh!" moments. I have no idea how many years it would have taken me to think of such an obvious solution.

Konical

13. Dean Williams

Dean Williams Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thomas, I kon't know what kind of reels you are using, but the width of a reel is the same no matter how much film you load on it. When you put it in the tank you have to use enough chems to cover the reel. Maybe I'm missing something here?

The EM, LM, Yashicamat (no suffix #), and Yashicamat 12 will take only 120 film. 124 and 124G will take both.

14. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    ..until part of the rubber band twisted up over the shooting lens and he didn't know until the negs came back with an unexposed stripe across the corner, heh

Based on a suggestion here on APUG I recently started putting two 120 rolls onto a Patterson reel -- so far great, no problems. I put the first roll on and cinch it ALL THE WAY to the center before putting on the second roll.

Had my YashicaMat 124G since high school. Never got rid of it but I think I really only learned to appreciate it in recent months. Some people have reported it binding with 220 rolls, but this has never happened to me.

Only Kodak (still?) makes 220 B&W film these days, BTW. Surprisingly, shooting two 120 rolls of Neopan 400 (or even Bergger BRF-200) is cheaper than a roll of TXP 220.

15. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The MAT124 and the MAT124G can use both 120 and 220 film. The pressure plate is simply moved to one position or the other. The MAT, MAT-EM, MAT-EL and 12 use 120 film only. The 24 or MAT24 uses 220 film only.
    On mine, I never used tape or rubberbands. I just put the sync switch in the X position and left it there.