Medium Format Cameras That Are Compatible With 35mm Film

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by HarrissPhotog, Aug 26, 2010.

1. HarrissPhotog

HarrissPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As the title states, I'm trying to find out what make/model medium format cameras also accept 35mm film. I know Holgas can be modified to shoot 35, but that's not what I'm looking for. I know in the past, a friend had a 120 camera that he was able to shoot 35mm in no problem; unfortunately we've lost touch so I can't ask him what it was. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost all of my MF cameras are compatible with 35mm film. You just take a 120 spool, split it in half and fashion it to hold the 35mm canister, and use another 120 spool for uptake. It's a very simple operation requiring no mods to the camera. The only thing is to load or unload the film in the dark (depending on whether you want to spool into our out of the 35mm canister).

3. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. EdColorado

EdColorado Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bronica has 2 35mm backs for the ETRSi. One shoots a standard 35mm frame size, the other is a panorama format, 24x54mm.

5. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you don't like the idea of customizing your used film spool to take 35mm film and also don't like the idea of wasting half of the film if you use 120 backs, there are some cameras that can take 35mm films with proper backs and/or adapter.
    I think all bronicas except RFs have 135 backs, mamiya 7II can also take 135, Yashica 635 can take Leica format films and perhaps many more, I forgot which are those.

If you use the DIY method presented few posts above here's some details with 'collateral' damage when 35mm film is used in 120 back in camera that takes 6x6 images:
    the leader takes about 40cm, then you have 12x5,6+frame spacing and then what's left is approx. 39cm of wasted film. so that is like 80cm of wasted film + 72cm (12x[approx]6cm) of exposed material. some numbers may vary but that's approximately what you get.

6. HarrissPhotog

HarrissPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you! I had thought about the DIY method before but figured I would get results as such. I'll check out the Bronicas.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try to hunt down a Yashica 635, which is basically a Yashica D with an adapter kit for 35mm film. You must make sure the complete adapter kit is included or it wont work. You can do the self made adapter as previously shown, but it wont work with MF cameras with the little red window in the back, for obvious reasons.

8. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a Hasselblad back that will take 35mm film. It is rare, hard to find, and pricey.

Steve

9. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Rolleikin adapter for Rolleis.

10. Ric Trexell

Ric Trexell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why would you want to?

I hope that I'm not taken as a smart ***, but why would you want to use 35mm in a camera designed for 120? Isn't that like asking how do I get a Cadillac to ride like a Chevy? The cost of developing one over the other is minimal and you get a better picture from MF, so why even try to get a 35mm cartridge in there? If you want to shoot 35mm, just get a 35mm camera. They are selling on ebay really cheap now days.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is a way to take panorama photographs without buying an XPAN.

Steve

12. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Only if you forget that you create that same panaroma photo using 120 film, with extras.

I'm with Ric: the only possible reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera is when the emulsion you need is only available in 35 mm format, and the only camera you have or can get is an MF camera.
    That's why 35 mm backs and adapters for MF cameras are so terribly hard to find: there are too many people who know it doesn't make sense. :wink:

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which is why I have not been chasing after one ...

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yet you think that:

?

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was providing information to the earlier poster as to what the motivation is. It is neither an endorsement nor a rejection of the motivating factor.

If you keep splitting hairs, you will end up as bald as a honeydew melon.

17. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whose motivation would that be?

So it's just a reason to use 35 mm film in an MF camera you thought up, isn't it? :D

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not think it up. It was a Hasselblad product at one time. Are you getting hair implants now?

19. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And because they sold a back, you thought it would be the answer to the question why on earth one would want to use 35 mm film in an MF camera.
    I see... :D

20. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are 35mm backs available for Mamiya 645 models that take interchangeable backs.

As I see it, the reasons for using them include:

1) some provide options for panoramic negatives or slides - good if you have access to more development options with 35mm film;
    2) some emulsions are only available in 35mm, and if you want to project 35mm slides ...
    3) useful if you want to use just one lens and shutter/need interchangeable backs and multiple formats (it's a lot easier to shoot 35mm in a MF camera than MF in a 35mm camera);
    4) some people have a pile of 35mm film they would like to use up;
    5) it is one of the easiest ways to find a 35mm camera that lets you use leaf shutters for fill flash work.

21. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There's a thing, yes.

Yes.

You can cut film to size, you know. Not just paper. :wink:

Easier still: shoot MF film in an MF camera. :wink:

Don't see how that would be a reason to run 35 mm film through an MF camera.
    To paraphrase something i read recently: it's easier to shoot 35 mm film in a 35 mm camera.

How does that work?
    But anyway that might be, why run 35 mm film through that camera? :wink:

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a 35mm kit for the Mamiya 7 as well, and possibly the 6 too.

There are also people who run 35mm through RBs and RZs with homemade adapters.

If you work the monetary numbers a bit, however, you see that you are just as well off cropping down a 120 or 220 frame than using a 35mm adapter in a medium format camera...except you are even better off practically, because you are not limited to the width of 35mm film (i.e. you get more compositional options; and perhaps an even more exciting way to look at it is that you get what amounts to a good deal of view-camera-esque vertical shift either way of the horizontal center line of the medium format film frame, which also gives you a good deal of control over the shapes of things in your composition).

Now, if you really want to shoot pretty extreme panoramic format very often, at exactly the same height and width every time, and there is an emulsion that you want to use that is available in 35mm that is not available in medium format, I would say to have at it without feeling too silly.

If composing with a panoramic frame in camera helps you, you can simply make viewfinder masks. The great thing about shooting onto film that covers the entire film gate is that you can make a set of masks for your ground glass, each with a different aspect ratio.

The elegant solution of the person who owned my Mamiya C33 before me, who wished to visualize the cropping required to fit the square pix onto a vertical piece of 8x10 paper? Use a fine-tipped Sharpie and a ruler to draw lines on the ground glass. It doesn't get in my way, and I actually use the lines from time to time.

23. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For me the main reason to do it would be emulsions - stuff like EIR, HIE, and Kodachrome - all available to some degree in 35mm but not available in 120.

The Mamiya 7 adapter is well made and doesn't waste any film, really - can use the whole roll as far as I can tell.

-Ed

24. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a reason why I've shot 35mm in a MF camera in the past, but I'z afraid to say for not to keep the fight going. Why does this question always degrade to "why" and "is it worth it" when the OP just wants to know if it can be done and how?

I've used a Rolleikin to (1) use emulsions not available in 120, (2) get faster synch speed than my 35mm camera offers, and (3) have a camera which is easier to shoot portraits in vertical format.

It was worth it to me. If you don't agree, please don't tell me... my feelings will get hurt!

25. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because that's the only level on which some people can think.

When I did it, I wanted to do panoramas on HIE, and also wanted sprockets connoting motion picture film and passage of time.... without resorting to photoshop trickery. The absolute last thing on my mind was whether it made sense to somebody else on some forum.

Do things other people don't do! Experiment! Live dangerously... live creatively!

26. rjbuzzclick

rjbuzzclick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another reason to do it, it makes your camera lens longer. On something like a 635, which has the mask for 35mm film, you essentially get an 80mm lens on the 35mm format, which would make a nice portrait setup, without wasting the rest of the 6x6 image.