Medium Format Enlarger?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by ShaneLee, Oct 29, 2011.

1. ShaneLee

ShaneLee Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's been a while since I've been on here. I'm a bit dazed and confused by Enlargers, specifically which one to get. It seems like a cold light enlarger would be the best.

I mainly want to print 6x6 black and white, but I would be happy if it could do 35mm aswell, although it's not essential.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the UK a Durst M670/M601, Jobo or LPL all with colour heads are quite easy to find.

Ian

3. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I have an LPL VCCE 7700 and can highly recommend it. Very compact, well put together, and the glass universal negative carrier for it is just great.

4. derwent

derwent Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I nearly got an LPL 7700 the other day...then decided the extra $50 they were asking for a De Veere 504 was worth it!

5. Роберт

Роберт Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    6x6cm: 80mm enlarger lens
    35mm: 50mm enlarger lens

About enlargers till roll film format:
    Meopta Magnifax 4A (till 6x9cm)
    Durst M805/M670/M605 (resp. 69/67/66)
    Dunco II 67, I have the 120 pro with Heiland Split Grade unit, till 6x7cm
    Kaiser (models till 6x9cm)
    Kienzle (models from 6x7cm-6x9cm)

The Dunco, Kaiser and Kienzle enlargers are still in production.
    The Heiland Split Grade unit is also available in cold light LED version.

Greetz,

Роберт

6. phelger

phelger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a friend is giving up on darkroom and has a Durst M70 with color head he wants to "get rid of". It includes a 50mm 2.8 Schneider Kreuznach lens and comes with a 35mm neg carrier. with relevant accessory equipment it can be extended to take up to 6x7 negs. price is likely to be little more than postage cost from Luxembourg! He is frequently in London and would consider posting it from there to UK destinations. tell me if you are interested and I'll put you in contact
    Peter

7. shutterclank

shutterclank Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Leitz Focomat IIC. if you can find one. Glenn has a ton of stuff, and has been known to ship internationally.

8. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kienzle if you have the money they've build the focomat for Leica and still offer Autofocus enlargers Their products are a bit expensive but they have a great build and quality and more important are available new. http://www.kienzle-phototechnik.de

Dominik

9. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have this exact set up and it is the perfect enlarger for me.

10. topoxforddoc

topoxforddoc Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have a Leica Focomat IIc and a LPL7451. The Focomat IIc is just a dream to use. The only problem is that you can’t use the plethora of used high quality lenses that exist as they won’t fit the lens mounting turret on the Focomat. The legendary Leica 100 Focotar costs a fortune used. A new lens from Kienzle is about the same money.

11. Richard Jepsen

Richard Jepsen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I would think one of the Durst 601/605 enlargers would be a place to start. Smaller than the 6x7 LPLs which are excellent. Should be readily available in Europe.

12. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was looking for a MF enlarger and ending up gettign a Omega 5D-XL Chromega II which has a color head and takes up to 4"x5" [ok 5"x4" for you]. Like who needs a color head and 4"x5"? Well stick around APUG and you will be doing color [colour] film processing and printing in Large Format. So get ready for G.A.S. [Gear Acquisition Syndrome] by having both a color head and 4"x5" capability, because you will be there, it is only a matter of time.

13. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a D3 which I use for 4X5 and 6X9 and a Durst 601 which I use for 35mm and 6X6, although a D3 can be used for any format up to 4X5 I like using the Durst for 35mm and 6X6, small foot print, easy to take down and set up if I want addtional table space when printing larger format. You can find both color and condenser inserts for the head, and the bulb is off set, not directley over the negative so I use a standared 75 or 100 watt softwhite bulb which I have horded. Well made.