MEDIUM FORMAT SCANNING - EPSON PERFECTION 4490

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by vincedixon, Mar 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vincedixon

vincedixon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi

I have recently purchased a Mamiya C330f and am planning to use this more than 35mm, hence have just got rid of my Minolta Scan Dual IV.

Has anybody any experience of the Epson 4490, I dont want to spend a great deal on a scanner as it will only be to upload for evaluation for wet printing purposes and posting on APUG.

Any comments much appreciated.

Regards
    Vince

2. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's perfectly adaquate, but don't expect it to pull out all the detail on the film.

3. Sam2nd

Sam2nd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That scanner is more than adequate for your intended purposes. We have and use the 'obsolete' 3200 which is what I've used in the majority of the scans in my gallery here, and which my wife successfully uses to make enlarged digital negatives for an alt process she's pursuing. Scan at 320ppi for your file. It'll be reduced to 72ppi when you save it for the web.

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The following is something I wrote at the end of last year:

DPI doesn't mean anything applied to output on a pixel based display device such as a computer monitor or projector. For example: I scan an 8x10 inch negative at 600 DPI producing a 4,800 x 6,000 pixel file. If I set the print output at 300 DPI, the file will produce a 16x20 inch print. However, whatever the DPI is set to, the file is exactly the same on screen. It is still 4,800 x 6,000 pixels in size whether printed at 150 DPI (32x40 inch print) or 600 DPI (8x10 inch print).

Tom.

6. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We're asking that questions about scanners and digital post-processing be taken to APUG's sister site, hybridphoto.com.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.