Melbourne APUG Get-Together Soonish

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Kevin Caulfield, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had been a bit more organised I would have tried to organise an APUG get-together to coincide with the Camberwell Photography Market. But I wasn't. However, since it has been a while, who is interested in catching up some time soon, say in the next week or two??? There may even be a couple of interstaters who can or will be in Melbourne soon anyway, so it could maybe be a bit later than that. So, who would like to catch up soon, when and where? I think around the CBD usually works better, but all suggestions will be considered.

2. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'm moving to Melbourne in May - keen to meet fellow LF photographers - hold out :wink: !

3. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    will endevour to make it. Will need to check with the Mrs as to what on...

4. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would be interested, Easter is next weekend, perhaps as ANZAC day falls on a Saturday we could meet then, and catch a game of swy on the side?

Whatever.

Nick, regarding LF people, perhaps a get together of LF photographers could be a worthy thing for a separate meeting. Generally speaking LF requires a minimal amount of walking around, not always though. Plus you usually require tripods, which without a valid permit, are illegal in Melbourne.

Failing that you need to have tripod insurance if you don't have the permit, I kid you not!

For some time I have thought that there are more than a few LF photographers in Melbourne, but newcomers have virtually nowhere to go shop wise to figure out what exactly LF is.

I thought we could have a ½ day meeting somewhere, where people with LF cameras and other equipment would front up. Whilst people who are thinking of LF one way or the other, could rock up and ask all the questions they can think of. Or something like that.

Could be some interesting LF trading and/or bartering, on the side as well

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2009
  5. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm game!! Hey Mick - since when were tripods illegal in Melbourne - last time I was bothered by an overzealous security guard (whilst setting up a tripod and Graphic View opp the QV centre), I emailed the Melbourne Film Office, and they indicated that amateur photography of any kind (and I DID specifiy my setup specifically) was welcome and supported - in fact, they complained to QV management on my behalf... That was only a couple of years ago.

Marc!

6. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Marc, for quite some time, maybe around 10 - 12 years you have needed a permit to use a tripod in the CBD.

Whether or not they enforce is another matter, although when CHOGM came to town anyone with a tripod was banned from the areas deemed to be a security risk, unless you were with a television station, they have insurance and were allowed.

Perhaps if you look up the city council regulations yuo may find the proper reference. I know that one of the camera clubs I belonged to in the 90's obtained a permit for a camera club shoot in the CBD back then.

Mick.

7. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's interesting - I feel quite the young rebel now!!

Marc

8. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a new comer to LF, all my learning has been web based. Would like to get together with other LF users in Melbourne, or out of Melbourne. So count me in.

9. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm busy over Easter, but after that should be fine.

10. blokeman

blokeman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind a LF get together, best after Easter for me.

11. wayne naughton

wayne naughton Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    nothing provided for us mf and 35mm shooters?

12. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My idea was just for a general APUG get-together. I think Mick is suggesting something more specific about the LF stuff. I'm just an MFer myself, but am interested in looking at LF stuff.

Anyway, it looks like there is a fair bit of interest, so we'll try to settle on a time.

13. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If I'm around I'm keen for a general APUG meeting for sure ...

ha ha, but I made the faux pas in assuming there would be a few LF shooters incl.

I lurk mostly in the LF/camera build/alt proc. sections of the forums you see and had the blinkers on for smaller formats - isn't 35mm film dead anyway ?? :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am interested in a general get together of any format, basically if you shoot film of any description, be there.

The LF thing was a different meeting, really leaning more towards an information exchange between those that have LF equipment and those who don't, but were or are thinking about doing it.

As for 35mm being dead, not by the proverbial long shot. My reading of the market place is 135 format rules supreme, followed a fair way back by 120 format, then way, way back is LF 4x5" and near the bottom of the pit is 8x10".

The rest of the cut sheet film formats, are sitting on the bottom.

Mick.

16. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd like to be in this Mick, especially the LF get together. I've got a couple of friends who are using 4x5 here in geelong and one who wants to get into LF, so this would be perfect. Please let me know when.
    Mike

17. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mike, Kevin's organising this, I'll do some thinking over Easter and maybe pm a couple of people then maybe have a go at organising something for a LF look and see meeting.

If people wish to have a LF shoot, that is a matter which should be addressed in another thread, something else to think about over Easter for the LF users out there.

Mick.

18. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As a self taught and very amateur LF photographer (as well as new to APUG) I would be keen if this is still on the cards for some time soon. Have built my own 4x5 to a point where I have been able to take 2 shots with it, but needs a bit more finessing to make focussing easier and permenant.

19. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Andy C, and yes, we will organise something fairly soon.

20. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting place you live in. I am currently looking at getting the use of a part hall in Manningtree road, I once attended Glenferrie state school, so I know the hall well. Shouldn't be too far from your location. :D

I'm also looking at a small venue in the southern suburbs as a back-up.

Hopefully one or the other should come to fruition.

If neither venue gets going, an outside open to the public place will suffice.

You are most welcome, as are all.

Mick.

21. Oxleyroad

Oxleyroad Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mick, I am currently a secretary of a sporting club on the Yarra, and we have a nice hall/shed that could possibly be used. Only thing is during W/E daytime the general membership is usually present. Evenings are usually better.

Just thought I would mention this for you to keep in the back of your mind in case one day it comes in handy.

22. nick mulder

nick mulder Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    melbourne !

23. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    May God Save the Queen,
    for nobody will save the 120, 6x7 or LF.

(with apologies to Gough Whitlam...)

Relax, 135mm aint going no place and will be here for a long time yet.

I like the idea of a get together Mick.

24. Kevin Caulfield

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, how are people placed for Saturday 23rd May, somewhere around the CBD, meet somewhere obvious, like under the clocks (at Flinders Street Station). If there is enough interest for that day, say late morning onwards, then we'll lock it in.

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2009
  25. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    <*/scribble, scribble, rub, rub, scribble...\*>

Got that on the calendar.

Aww—what a romantic, original idea to meet "Under the Clocks"! :tongue: They did that during the Great Depression, too.

Can I suggest a mid-morning meet to allow those coming up from afar to make it on time. I'll come up on the choo-choo on 'Daisy'. I never ever drive in Melbourne CBD for the utter pain it is.

26. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [...]

Wh— what!?
    A "valid permit" for a tripod?? I never knew that. Certainly I was oblivious to it beavering away Queen Victoria statue in the Gardens on St Kilda Road.
    Am I missing something? When was this bylaw enacted? Under the reign of Cr. John So & So?? I'd like to learn some background info.