Melbourne Silver Mine's 'Unsensored 11' book, now available through Blurb!

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by munz6869, Mar 29, 2012.

1. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's here http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/3021492 if you want to have a sticky beak... It's all of the photos from November's exhibition at the Collingwood Gallery. I'm ordering a copy because (a) I have a photo in it, on p.14!!! and (b) whilst we were standing around at the APUG get together in Noojee on Sunday, we were actually chatting about the whole Blurb books-on-demand thing, and I'm very curious to see what the print quality is like...

Marc!

2. mick8585

mick8585 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So, is the print quality good?
    I was thinking of using Blurb myself for a personal project.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm also interested to hear about what you think of the print quality as I too have a personal project I'm planning to do using Blurb.

4. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Should be delivered by April 16th, so I'll let everyone know...

Marc!

5. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please note that this comment is NOT about the book that's the subject of this thread, but rather about a different book from Blurb.

I recently purchased a hard-cover photo book from Blurb authored by a member on another forum.

I'm pleased with the overall quality and appearance. The photos are all b&w, and reproduced quite nicely.
    The binding is neat and secure. The dust jacket is heavy and quite professional in appearance.

Just one man's opinion, worth every cent you paid for it. :wink:

- Leigh

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  6. munz6869

munz6869 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just received both copies (one for me, one for mum of course!) in the mail:
    The binding quality is excellent - hardbook cover with laminated printed surface - looks just like any other book
    The text printing is nice and crisp, even at thin weights
    The photos are 'decent book quality' - not awesome gallery art book quality, and of course nothing like darkroom print quality - but my b&w pic had some difficult areas of shadow tone, and I was pleased to see the dot gain hadn't resulted in any loss of detail. It did seem for b&w pictures there was perhaps a very slight green cast, but nothing horrid (like bad chromagenic lab prints) - it was slight enough to only be noticeable to picky picky people :smile:

Overall I'm really impressed - it looks like a real book!! - and so I'd use 'em...

Marc!