Memphis Estate Sale--lots of photo stuff

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by nexus757, Aug 16, 2013.

1. nexus757

nexus757 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A friend sent me a link to this estate sale this weekend in Memphis. I'm not associated with it in any way, but looks like a fair amount of darkroom equipment, cameras, lenses, paper, film, etc. Also 16mm movie films and equip., if you're into that. Might be worth checking out if you are in the area: http://www.estatesales.net/estate-sales/482685.aspx

2. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm about 2 1/2 hours from Memphis. I see that it is a commercial estate sale company. Not necessarily bad, but hate to drive that far and find they were pricing the camera gear at the top of the price range. Or that the cameras needed a lot of attention.

But my son lives in Memphis, so maybe I can con... err get him to take a look.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

3. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy Moly, this guy had his s**t together in the darkroom. I'd love to buy all of it. Nice sinks. I can only hope my estate sale looks like this when I die. But it won't. It will be a disorganized disaster area.

4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not that I'm saying don't do it, but does anyone feel a slight sense of morbidity buying a recently deceased fellow printer's stuff? I guess another way of thinking would be that he'd rather it see it go to people who will value it rather than junk it.

5. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole

I think that when I died and someone bought all my camera and darkroom stuff, for once my wife finally would also get something out of it :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2013
  6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since a lot of people make money in estate sales it's interesting to think about just how much value is lost through death. Granted, these aren't gold bars we're talking about... But I'd imagine resale during estate sales isn't anywhere close to 1-by-1 sales on eBay and the like. Someone is making money, that's for sure.

7. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On my way to Memphis to check it out.

8. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon F3 HP WITH Nikkor P 105 2.8 lens. They want $249. Battery is dead, so can't test, no guarantee, no return. So think I'll pass...

They want $3 a roll for film that expired between 1999 and 2008.

9. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A little bit high but the lens is 100$ easy leaving one with a 149$ F3HP so if it works I'd say that's not too bad a deal. The film should be 1-2$/roll IMO.

10. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The sale continues tomorrow, and they said they would be interested in offers tomorrow on what doesn't sell today. So using some of my points to spend the night in town.

Lots of large size photo paper in a freezer and a fair amount of film. They have an enlarger 35mm/med format. But they are asking $1450 for it. Not happening on my budget.

11. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1450$ is of course wishful thinking.

I think you need to start dictating what you'll pay rather than the other way around and combine things into package deals. Unless that film is slide film there's no way it's worth 3$/roll. Even then it's a decade old. Educate them on this and not to go off eBay prices because that's obviously what you're doing. eBay prices don't count here because showing up in person means you're saving the time of listing all of it, fees, buyer coordination, etc.

12. KennyMark

KennyMark Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dream refrigerator (the contents at least)

Awesome rugs

Too bad that most of the movie film will be purchased by someone that will toss the film and sell the reels for wall decoration at a flea market.

Really wish I could be there. The last half of the last day is typically a good time to bargain.

13. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I immediately thought of this song... for some reason thought it was Memphis he was walking to... but you get the idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjX1vFk384s

I wish you well and hope you return loaded with a lifetime of value...

14. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is also a Contax G2, but no lens. But perhaps the lens sold earlier.

There was an amazing amount of old movies, in both 16mm and 35mm. Projectors as well. The movies took up most of the garage. Almost broke down and bought the Commander Cody serial in 35mm. Some of the stuff was nitrate and was starting to turn to powder. The garage reeked of that vinegar smell.

A man who was buying one film, said that his friend was coming to make an offer on the whole lot. They were asking $20 a reel.

No way I am paying $3 a roll for out dated film.

But, if nothing else, I got to see it.

15. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Buy one of his arches prints. Clearly you know, a photographer's film, cameras and possessions are mere objects that can be gotten anywhere.

But his prints are probably the most priceless, irreplaceable objects in the lot!

16. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know who the owner of all this stuff was?

17. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    clayne, My gut instinct tells me the photographer is much like any of us here... A passionate hobbyist, not necessarily famous by any measure.

18. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The real bargains do not happen until they realize at the end that they have over priced themselves. $1450 is a bit overboard but there are a few Saunders easels on the baseboard. If it doesn't sell, a person at the end of the sale may pick up some great deals. That is the best time to have a few extra $$$'s . I have a connection with a person who does estate sales and at the end I get products for 25% of the asking price so he doesn't have to get storage which is pricey here in Vancouver.

19. ambaker

ambaker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Missed out on the Nikons. They were gone when we came back today. Did pick up the Contax G2, and a large amount of frozen B&W 120 film. Everything from old Verichrome Pan, to 2008 vintage Ilford.

There was a massive amount of enlarging paper in a freezer. Sadly, no way I could do justice to all that. I don't have a setup to do 20x24. Sale continues tomorrow...

Photographer's name was John Roberts. Not a name I am familiar with, but perhaps someone here knows the name.