Meopta Axomat 5a enlarger question

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by FoxTalbot, Nov 17, 2008.

1. FoxTalbot

FoxTalbot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

This is my first post here,so "hello" to one and all!

I've just bought a Meopta Axomat 5a enlarger.I'm new to the darkroom scene,and I was wondering if this enlarger is classed as a "condenser-diffuser" type? I know that condensers have the problem of showing up dust on final prints.The Axomat comes with a piece of ground glass which sits in the bottom of the filter drawer.Does this piece of glass help to reduce the effects of dust showing on the prints to some extent? Would it essentially do a similar job to a mixing box as used with a colour head? And am I right in saying that the ground glass will reduce contrast to a degree?

Thanks for any help offered!

Dave

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes you've guessed right. The difference in contrast isn't that great.

Ian

3. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes; as Ian says, you've got it right. The old rule of thumb was that the diffusion enlargers needed one grade of paper higher. Of couse, they were strictly diffusion, not diffusion with condensors. It is not only dust and defects that the diffusion helps with: it tends to reduce the dreaded Callier Effect. BTW, the Meopta enlargers are real sleepers--great machines for the money. You may want to try to find a glass less neg carrier, though; if yours does not have one. Have fun.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Oh and welcome to APUG BTW I hadn't spotted it's your first post :D

Ian

5. FoxTalbot

FoxTalbot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Ian and John for the help!

The negative carrier I have is glassless,so that's OK. One other question I have: The bulb that came with the enlarger is a 75 watt.The Meopta manual says that the bulb usually used with the Axomat is a 150 watt.Will this make a big difference,apart from prolonging exposure times,or should I get a 150 watt bulb?

Dave

6. ben-s

ben-s Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I reckon you have the twin brother to my first enlarger! My Axomat 5 (second hand) came with a 75W fitted and a 150 in a box.
    The only difference I found was the exposure time.
    I liked the Axomat 5, it's a lot more rigid than my Durst M70, and the angled column is nice to have.
    I've still got it under the bench as a backup.

7. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Dave, welcome to apug. Don't forget to say hello in the Ireland section. We are organising a day out shooting in Wicklow in December and you would be welcome to join us.

Peter