Meopta Lenses

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Ektagraphic, Sep 27, 2009.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Guys- This is kind of an extention of the other thread....How are the Meopta enlarging lenses? I have looked at the Meogon S.
    Patrick

2. Bigpaul

Bigpaul Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a Meogon S 80mm lens whenever I need something longer than 50mm (usually when making small prints from 35mm negs), and find it to be very good. I believe the Meopta Meogons are 6 element, and the Anarets 4 element? I bought mine new, quite a while ago, and seem to remember that the Meogon was just over half the price of the six-element equivalent lenses from Rodenstock, Nikon and Schneider........along with the excellent contemporary reviews, this prompted me to go for the Meopta lens. When I have compared to it with my standard 50mm lens (Minolta CE Rokkor) using the same negative and technique it is a just a tad lower in contrast, but actual sharpness is just as good. On that basis, I wouldn't have any problem using a Meogon as my everyday lens.

3. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Meogon S lenses are good and can be excellent value for money

The concensus is that their performance is not quite in the same league as the Rodenstock Rogadons or Schneider Componon-S

Personally, I would go for a Rodagon or Componon-S, either new or a clean secondhand example

The main decision you need to make is how much money do you want to spend.

A Wanted advert in the classifieds here on APUG will probably get you a top notch peice of glass for a sensible amount of money

Martin

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How about the Anaret S?

5. werra

werra Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Personally, I have not found a better 80mm enlarger lens than my Anaret-S, despite having tried most of the top-of-the-line lenses from most of the major manufacturers.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Anaret S is a very good lens, it's optical cells are made by Schneider anyway, their version is the Componar S (not Componon as I said in the other thread).

It's a touch slower than a Componon S but in practice that shouldn't make much difference.

Schneider's naming gets confusing as this design was once called a Comparon, and the name Componar was used for a cheap/budget Triplet design :D

Ian

8. RobertV

RobertV Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Meogons are 6 or 5 elements while Anarets have 4 elements. They all preform very well, certainly for the amount of money.
    I have a Meogon 2,8/80mm and compared with my Rodagon-WA 4,0/60mm there is not so much difference.

9. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a Meogon 80mm a long time ago when I got my first 6 X 6 enlarger. I intended to replace it with a 'better' lens later, when I had more cash. 20 years later or something... I still use it. I'm sure there must be better lenses, but I have never mananged to demonstrate any short coming in it's performance to justify replacing it. I have tested it with lens resolution negatives etc and it seems great right out to the edges and I've compared it against several other lenses and it always comes out on top.

I also have an anaret 50mm. Maybe not quite so good - but I've also not replaced that in 20 years either :smile:

10. Trond

Trond Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a Meopta Anarat (without the S) 80mm 4.5 for a couple of years now. It has performed very well and was very inexpensive. It has now been replaced with a Rodagon 80mm, which is mechanically better and has an illuminated aperture scale.

11. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well I am going to go for the Anarat S 50mm.

12. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a Meogon S 80mm lens for the last 16 years trouble free for all my 6x6 work. I have the f2.8 version which is hard to get nowadays as I believes its no longer made. At anyrate, I remember reading an enlarger lens test from a photo rag in the UK when I lived there in the early 90's that compared the Meogon S 80mm f2.8 with all the other similar glass from it's peers. It actually had better performance than the componon S and Rodagons across all apertures. In fact the meogon had the best control of distortion than any of them over more apertures as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this lens. I am not sure on the newer version of the 80mm as it is only f4.5 I believe. I would assume it would be comperable buy YMMV. If you can find a used f2.8 version, then jump on it.

13. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am getting a 50mm f/2.8