Meopta Meogon 80mm f2.8 enlarging lens

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by John Wiegerink, Jan 25, 2010.

1. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm remodeling my darkroom and was looking for odds&ends on the big auction site last night and came across a seller (a photo equipment store) that was selling several different Meopta enlarging lenses. He had three (brand new in the box) Meopta Meogon 80mm f2.8 enlarging lenses so I bought two of them at the "buy it now" price of $44.00. I thought I could try both and keep the best one. Maybe I should have bought all three to try, but I figured two should do. Now, the truth is I know very little about Meopta lenses(never owned one), but have heard they were comparable to other good quality enlarging lenses. What really swayed me on these two was the fact that they have a max aperture of f2.8. I can only imagine what it's going to be like focusing one of my Rollei negs at f2.8. It should be heaven! The real question is this, are the lenses good enough for work with the Rollei negatives. Anyone have any experience with the Meopta lenses, especially the 80mm f2.8. Doesn't make much sense taking great pictures with a Rollei or whatever and then trying to enlarge them with a coke bottle. JohnW

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some of the Meopta lenses were made by Schneider, these were expensive lenses and amongst the best available.

Ian

3. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Ian! That's a little reassuring at least. Of course I didn't remortgage my house to buy these so even if they turn out to be dog turds I'm not out much. I did a google search after the post and found that they(Meopta) made two Meogon 80mm lenses. One the 80mm f2.8 and the other the 80mm f4. These were both made at the same time and now I'm going to try and search out the selling price of each, just for the heck of it. JohnW

4. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am using the Meopta 2,8/80mm in my darkroom and for macro.
    It's an excellent lens with a very good preformance. Comparing with my Rodenstock Rodagon WA-60 4,0 there is no difference in sharpness and contrast on 40x50cm format. So fine optics.

Greetz, Robert

5. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Robert, I'm glad to hear your "hands on" experience with the 80mm f2.8 Meogon. I also like the fact that it was a positive one at that. You also answered a question I had the was swirling around in the back of my head. That is using it for macro/micro close-up work. I have a LTM(39mm) to M42 adapter and a helical focusing M42 extension tube that I use I my Canon 5D and thought if nothing else that this lens would make a very good macro lens for easy focusing at f2.8. Sounds like this lens will be an interesting toy to play with. JohnW

6. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For macro I am using the helical focussing MFS from Zörkendörfer (Germany). Here you can fit every M39x1mm lens on. On the other end you can choose the adapter, also in my situation EOS EF.
    The system can also shift.

7. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Robert, it sure would be nice to have shift in a macro lens, but I'm just happy to be able to focus. It would be very useful to be able to use shift/swings when taking some insect shot as the depth of field is so limited. I'll let you know what I think of the Meogon 80mm f2.8 when it gets here. JohnW

8. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did find something interesting about the price. I searched and found an old pdf from www.silverprint.co.uk and it list the MeogonS 80mm f4 at 160.00 GBP and the Meogon 80mm f2.8 at 180.00 GBP. I can't find the 80mm f2.8 Meogon listed anywhere so I guess it's discontinued. They both must be pretty good lenses for Silverprint to have been asking that much for them and I have my fingers crossed that they are. If not I have a 90mm f5.6 Omicron-EL that is very, very good, but I sure would like it to have a little faster max aperture. JohnW

9. nighthitcher

nighthitcher Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    sounds good to me

10. wskmosaic

wskmosaic Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm jealous as hell. I'd pay more than that for just that lens. Mind telling me the name of the auction site on which you found it?
    Warren

11. John Wiegerink

John Wiegerink Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    80mm f2.8 Meogon

Warren,
    Wow, this is an old thread. I got them off of eBay and the photo equipment/seller was from South Africa. Both were brand new with all the paperwork. I've tested both of them and they are actually better than I thought and it sure is dandy focusing a f2.8 lens in the dark.

12. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Meogon 80mm f2.8 is one of the sharpest performing enlarging lenses ever. I can remember lens tests done in Practical Photography magazine back in the early 90's. side by side comparisons to the schneider componon S and Rodagon equivalents, put it hands down into first place. The Meogon produces even center to edge sharpness across most apertures starting at f4 through f16. Compared to the others, it had more sharpness, contrast, and resolved more lines per millimeter across more of the aperture range than its competitors.

13. superd

superd Member

That's a bit of an overstatement. Meogons are indeed good lenses and if you have one, no need to search for a replacement. But above statement would suggest that if you own for example a Componon S, you should get a Meogon and that is simply NOT so. It actually falls into misinformation category for me.

14. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read the lens test with my own eyes and am not bullshitting anyone. The lens test was done back in the 90's. Where in my statement did you take it to mean if you have a componon S, you should go and buy the meogon instead?? I did not. You made that up, and made 2+2 equal 10, and called me a liar in the process. I simply stated what i saw and read, you can take it or leave it. Or better yet, prove that i overtstated...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2013
  15. superd

superd Member

When one states (now apparently based ONLY on a test in magazine) that a lens "is superior in several categories" then some will interpret it as if having the other is not the best option and may seek the "better" one. I am saying that Meogon is a good lens, but having something like a Componon S is still a top lens ever made for enlarging (just like many others). And I did not call you a liar (now you made it up), I only said that suggesting superiority of one product over another in such strong words would lead one to believe that he may have an inferior product on his hands. Hence a "misinformation" in my statement, because you will find many people (myself included) stating that, if there are differences between these two, they are NOT in favor of the Meogon. Since I happened to have owned BOTH of these, I can sit quite comfy saying that.

16. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Whatever... I will say that my claim has not changed. You implied I was lying, get over it. I am not sure I understand your reference to being "what now apparently based ONLY on a test in a magazine." Means? Did I say or imply anything different to that? It was a magainze test I was referring too. I was quoting what I read, and saw with my own eyes in a magazine test many years ago, I was not telling or implying people to sell their Componon's and buy Meogon's... Also as an owner of a Meogon 80 f2.8, and have owned a componon's in 80mm some years back. I can sit quite comfortably knowing that the Meogon I own is better in my opinion. So please enlighten me, and let me know what you and many others feel are better lenses, and why? Also show me actual print scans on an APUG gallery instead of hiding as a member versus a subscriber.

17. superd

superd Member

I'm not going to inflame this more than perhaps I have. I can read all the tests you wish, and advise others based on that. Fine. And yes, I missed the part that you mentioned the magazine test in your prior post, so sorry about that. The fact remains though that you have no experience with the lens, just mere sighting of a test. If others want to use that as a reference to make a purchase decision, fine too, up to them. Since you mentioned no ownership of the lens in your first post, I can't argue with your later admission.

But, if you think that as a subscriber you're somehow better than any of the members here, then sorry, but I don't think I need to comment on that. Quite obvious who I'm dealing with. Nor will I be even trying to prove anything with scans. Pixel peeping has no place in my darkroom work. I see the results the way I need to see them.

18. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Untrue again. I have the meogon we are talking about, as i also mentioned in my last post. So yes, the fact remains, I do have experience with said lens thank you very much, and a componon s lens as well. I am also not better than anyone else... Also implied by you, not by me. But merely stating that, prints ultimately prove the performance of the lens. I'm not a pixel peeper either, but as a member, you cannot post gallery pictures. If you were a subscriber, you could see gallery images and post your own.

19. Dali

Dali Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They also made a 5.6/80mm version.

Take care.