Meopta Meograde Head Instructions Wanted

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by David47, May 27, 2010.

1. David47

David47 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi folks,

Does anyone out there have an instruction sheet or manual for a Meograde head as fitted to a Meopta Magnifax 4a (B&W) enlarger ?.

David47 :smile:

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try the Ilford datasheet, but that's for a Meopta colour head.

But this is the Meograde description

"Identical in size and specification to the Color 3 head, the Meograde head will replace the condenser head of any current Meopta black & white enlarger. A single filtration dial for contrast grades 0 to 5 (in half grade steps) has the advantage of retaining uniform exposure throughout the contrast range of VC black & white papers."

Ian

3. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to have a meograde head on a Opemus 5a. It's a fairly simple thing. Do you have a specific issue?

4. Stoo Batchelor

Stoo Batchelor Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do David. Unfortunately it is not very informative as it is a joint document with the Color 3 head, and there is more info on that than the Meograde. In total, it is just three sides of A4.

If you P.M me your email I will scan it and send it to you, but that will be tomorrow now, that's Friday, as I am just off to bed.

Cheers

Stoo

5. David47

David47 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks guys ... I appreciate your input. By way of explanation, I'm returning to B&W photography (35mm and 6x7 MF) after a "lifetime" of working. I'm in the process of setting up my darkroom, and being a retired Engineer, I'm a bit anal about reading instructions. The instructions I got with the enlarger relate to the Magnifax 4 .... hence the question.

Ian, thanks for the link - I've downloaded the data sheet and will work my way through it.

Steve, there probably isn't an issue - I'm just used to dealing with complication !

Stoo, I'll send my email details to you and thanks for the offer.

Again, thanks to all.

David

6. Hausen

Hausen Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

I would love a copy of this document if possible. Took delivery of the Meopta Meograde 4a today and am getting back into B&W after 5 years away with Canon and Leica digital.

7. Pedro Pinto Basto

Pedro Pinto Basto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello to everyone.

I bought an old enlarger from MEOPTA. I know the enlarger as the head from Meopta Meograde, but I'm not sure if it is.

2.jpg

Does anyone know if I need to buy some filters (like the ones from Ilford ( https://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/darkroom/ilford-multigrade-filter-set-gelatine-9x9cm.html ) to develop photos? Our I can use the enlarger without the filters from Ilford, and I'll have contrast and density in the photos developed?

Also, can I use a this head with a MEOPTA magnifax 4 to "enlarge" 6x4,5 cm negatives?

Also, I would love to have that manual too.

8. cheekygeek

cheekygeek Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Don't know if this would be of any assistance. http://rangefinder.ru/download/manuals/Opemus_6a-pdf-6597.pdf

According to: http://www.meoptahistory.com/
    "Meograde head is a device of black and white gradation scale Multigrade photographic papers. The head is designed to be used with Axomat 5, Opemus 6, Opemus 7 and Magnifax 4 enlargers. Depending on the enlarger type used, the suitable mixing chamber must be selected (24 x 36, 60 x 60, 60 x 70 or 65 x 90 mm)."

So you are matching it with a proper enlarger, but perhaps do not have the proper mixing chamber?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  9. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you have the head that is shown in the picture, then you do not need to buy filters to control contrast. This is what the head is for! With the left dial you adjust the contrast (exposure time should remain the same when changing contrast with this module), the right dial is neutral density to fine tune the exposure of the print. You could also do this with a color head (or the external gelatine filters), but the Meograde head is the most comfortable solution.

Yes. you can use this head with a Magnifax 4a to enlarge negatives up to 6.5x9 cm, so 4.5x6 is covered easily. However, you have to make sure that you have the correct light diffusion (mixing) box for your negative size. There are four types, for 35mm, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9. Any of the three larger ones will work fine for 4.5x6. If you tell us what setup you have right now, we might be able to tell you what else you need. Do you have a power adapter (12V) for the Meograde head?

I will check tomorrow if I have some further documents on this enlarger in PDF format to give to you.

10. Jojje

Jojje Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Pedro, I checked and all I have in PDF form right now is the instructions for the Color-3-Head. If that is of any use for you, send me a PM.

12. Pedro Pinto Basto

Pedro Pinto Basto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the reply to all.

Although the foto index as good items, they don't reply to e-mails. On the other side, the dark room shop http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/ reply to the messages and have a lot of things to buy to use in the laboratory.

Does anyone knows is the meograde head is better that the color head (from meopta)?
    As far as I read, some people say the meograde is better.

13. Pedro Pinto Basto

Pedro Pinto Basto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello to everybody!

Another question:

I have one mixing chamber but I don't know if it's a 35mm or a 6x6. Either way if I have one, a need the other one.

How can I know wich one I have?

Thanks.

14. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Better depends ... Better for what? The Meograde head is better (in the sense of "more comfortable") for b&w work with multigrade papers. The color head is better for printing color (you cannot use the Meograde head to print color). The Meograde head is also harder to find, which is normally reflected in the price (Meograde is more expensive).

6x6 diffusion box has a square white plastic screen, 35mm has a white plastic screen with a rectangular, somewhat lighter (less opaque) zone in the middle of the plastic screen. If not sure, post a picture.

15. Pedro Pinto Basto

Pedro Pinto Basto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hey!

Onde again, thank you for your awnsers.

I'm still not sure. I send you a pic.

image.jpeg

If I have one mixing box for 6x6, do I need to make anything to enlarge a 6x4,5 negative?

Thank you.

16. mnemosyne

mnemosyne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is the 35mm box. You would have to buy the 6x6 or 6x7 box (should be available from Fotoimpex) to be able to print 4.5x6.

If you happen to find the 6x9 box (somewhere; it is not available from Fotoimpex anymore), buy it, so you have all possible formats covered. In practice, you gain a little more light (speed) when using the smallest possible size to enlarge (6x6 box for 4.5x6 compared to 6x7 or 6x9 box for 4.5x6), but unless you work with very slow papers (warmtone) or go big enlargements it will not make a big difference.

Other stuff:
    I would suggest that you buy the masks for negative mask inserts for 6x6, if you do not already own them still available (AFAIK, Meopta never made inserts for 4.5x6 for the Magnifax, not sure if the Opemus inserts work, probably not). If you have the two glass inserts (standard glass on bottom, Anti-newton on top) you do not strictly need the inserts, but I have found that I have a lot of newton rings with the Meopta glass inserts and I try to enlarge glassless whenever possible. If you decide to use the glass inserts instead, use some thick black paper to mask the area around the negative (this helps to eliminate stray light).

You will need an enlarging lens that covers 4,5x6. A lens for 35mm format will not work. There are some specifically for 4.5x6, but the 80mm lenses that cover the next larger format (6x6) are easier to find and are more versatile, as you can use them to print 6x6 as well in the future. Ask here if you are not sure what you need.

Please check your mailbox (PM sent).

17. Pedro Pinto Basto

Pedro Pinto Basto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello!

Thank you so much for your help.

I do have to buy a new mixing box if I want to enlarge a 6x4,5 negative. Another thing is that I have 2 glasses inserts, and as you said I will try to eliminate the stray light.

I do have one lent Rogonar 150 mm f1:4.5. I found by the site of Rogonar that the maximum negative size that I can enlarge is 9x12 cm. So it's fine to enlarge a 6x4,5 cm, right?

Thank you.