Meopta transformer repair/replacement in UK?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Andy K, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was setting up my darkroom when the transformer for my Opemus 6 decided to take a tumble. The on/off switch is broken off and beyond DIY repair. I have done a forum search but could find no reference to Meopta spares or repairs.

Do any UK photogs know of anyone who could replace or (preferably) repair the transformer?

Preferably in the South east as it is very heavy and mailing it would cost a fortune!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Andy.

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Meopta agent is: http://www.thedarkroom.co.uk/

However I have found it cheaper to buy a second-hand unit on eBay, at least for a Durst unit.

4. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks gents. I already looked at thedarkroom.co.uk, but I figure a repair will be a lot cheaper than £67 for a replacement. That's more than I paid for the entire enlarger kit!

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would think any tv/radio repair shop would be able to cope with a repair. The hardest part will be finding a suitable switch.
    Consider bypassing the switch with a connector block and letting your timer switch do the work. Thinking about this, Durst units don't have a switch fitted! Why would you need a switch anyway, apart from the obvious?

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Something I have often wondered too Dave. I'll have the transformer apart this evening and see how easily the switch can be bypassed.

7. BarryWilkinson

BarryWilkinson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy,

I suspect you could get a new switch from RS Components or Farnell. As Dave said, anyone with a little electrical knowledge could probably fit it.

Barry

8. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy, I was looking for a transformer for a Beseler head and wrote to many transformer companies without luck. I used to be that a transformer, motor, etc. could be rewound easily and in most towns. No just getting a replacement is like pulling teeth. If it's the switch can you have someone wire in the switch external if it's in the head case.

There must be someone there that can rewind a transformer. Maybe ask some of the older people where you live and work?

What does the switch and transformer look like?

Curt

9. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy -

Go to www.maplin.co.uk and search for GU53H. I think that will probably fit. I have a Meopta transformer here, I dunno if they're all the same but this one has a square white rocker switch. Without dismantling it to check I can't be sure it's a standard part but I would wager it is.

Otherwise as Dave suggests, just bypass it and use your timer to do the switching.

Another alternative assuming you have a 12v 100W lamp is a low-voltage lighting transformer such as Maplin NL48C. I've been using one of these for years and it's a voltage stabiliser as well as a transformer, and weighs a couple of ounces so when it goes wrong it's cheaper to post!

11. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi !
    I once owned an Opemus 6 bought in Finchley north of London. The transformer was a custom made 220v/12v toroidal one able to feed a 12V 100W halogen bulb. Not rocket science.... The only difficult part was the box into which it had been put because it used riveted covers instead of screws.... Maybe to obey safety regulations regarding user not able to open the box.
    Anyway, dismount the switch, go to the nearest electrician shop and ask for a replacement. It should not cost you an arm and a leg. Only a leg ;-)

12. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Curt, Please see attachments. As you can see in the third picture, the switch is going to be easy to bypass.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and links. :smile:

Attached Files:

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy, the transformer looks about like mine, does the label on the side give any information on the transformer maker? Mine turned out to be made by the Chiago Transformer Company. When I was searching I was told that it's cheaper to get a new transformer than to rewind it. I bought one on eBay for $10.00, you have to watch the wattage too. Which model is the enlarger and what is the light source one halogen bulb. I can check here for any parts etc..

14. Peter Black

Peter Black Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The switch on my power supply (which looks identical to Andy's) has a 25mm square cutout, rather than the 22x30mm one used as standard these days so the Maplin one may not fit as it is 22x30mm cutout.

Probably easiest to just bypass the switch. You may be able to avoid soldering anything as long as the leads are long enough.

We first want to take the wire between the fuse holder and the switch and reconnect it between the fuse holder and the terminal block.
    • Assuming that it looks like it will reach, cut the black wire that goes between the fuse holder and the switch as close as possible to the switch, leaving it connected to the fuse holder.
    • Remove the black wire from the terminal block, cut it off at the switch end and throw away.
    • Strip off 5mm from the loose end of the black wire and connect it in the terminal block from where you just took the other wire out.
    • You should now have black wires going: Terminal block -> fuse holder -> Transformer. There should be no other black wires now.

We now want to remove the blue wire between the transformer and the switch and connect it between the transformer and the terminal block.
    • Cut this blue wire off as close as possible to the switch, leaving it connected to the transformer.
    • Remove the blue wire from the terminal block, cut it off at the switch end and throw away.
    • Strip 5mm off the end of the blue wire now hanging free from the transformer and connect it to the terminal block in the place of the one you just removed.
    • You should now have a blue wire going directly from the terminal block to the transformer with no other blue wires.

Make sure the connections you just made are good (tug on the wires in the terminal block).

Job done. Remember to switch off at the mains in future: a transformer draws current even when nothing is plugged in to it.

If at any time when cutting a wire you hear a ticking noise, run like the wind... :wink:

Have fun, Bob.

16. haris

haris Guest

I would use ordinary transformer for houshold 12/100w halogen lamp. Even better, buy stabilized one. It is only important that transformer give proper "food" for your lightbulb, no matter if it is dedicated for enlarger or not :smile: