message from ilford

Discussion in 'Workshops & Lectures' started by ann, Oct 10, 2005.

1. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
  2. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like it'll be worth a visit. Any of you over there going along? It's a bit far for me, but it would be good to see some APUG representation.

<edit> I see our very own Les Mclean will be speaking. Most excellent! :smile:

3. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Steve Simmons posted this awhile back..When I first heard of it I thought "great' as I live an hour away.

But the $300 registration fee was a deal killer.
    Some good people there I'd like to meet and discuss with, but for two days of discussion, it seems way high. Ilford is essentially charging us to help gauge their current and future market to some extent.

I support Ilford with product purchases, but not with this.
    Just my CANSHO (cheap ass not so humble opinion) .

4. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I wonder how wise is it to do it this way? $300 is a bit high for a conference, if people dont show up will they conclude there is no support? If they had opened their contest to anybody, not just those attending and limit it to only film exposures they might have been able to better judge the support even if they charged a fee for sending prints.

5. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have an info pack yet but I have been in talks with Ilford and they have invited us to be a part of the conference. There will be a discount for APUG subscribers and more information coming soon so stay tuned :smile:

6. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Good to know Sean,

Thanks.

7. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  8. sunnyroller

sunnyroller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wish I could go! I would love the hear Keith Carter speak and of course Les McClean.

Sunny

9. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sunny,
    Come to the APUG Conference (for far less) and you can have half your hearts desire (Les that is).

10. Michael A. Smith

Michael A. Smith Subscriber

I will not only be at the Silver Conference, as will my wife, Paula Chamlee, but we were both recently invited to be speakers. As I understand it, one of the main purposes of the conference is to show support for what I guess is now called analog photography (though I hate the term). As such, it should be right up the alley of members of APUG. The conference is pricier than the APUG Conference in Toronto, however. The pricing of the workshops in Toronto is astoundingly reasonable, and if you cannot get to LA for the Silver Conference, you should try to make it to Toronto. Getting to both would be ideal as they will be very different from each other. I look forward to meeting many of you at one of or the other of the conferences.

11. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought this was a great idea as well since i live 1/2 hour away. Then i saw the price on Calumet's email to me. Has anyone been in the LA Calumet store lately? They have put their limited supply of b+w materials in a tiny room apart from everything else in the store. The shelves were b+w supplies were are now filled with inkjet papers. Good luck getting any of the papers listed on their website from a local store. Calumet's in this thing for the money.

12. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's hardly surprising given the low volume of traditional B&W stock. As a retailer myself, I wouldn't waste wall space on stock that caters for a niche market - I'd put it in a cupboard and advertise availability.

The days of wandering in and playing touchie feelie are coming to a close.

13. per volquartz

per volquartz Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The conference should be FREE!!!

Ilford is a commercial enterprise, so is Calumet, and so is Art Center.
    A token fee of $50 would be appropriate.

I live 15 minutes away and will not attend.

Although all my work is 100% black and white, traditional silver based photography I find this kind of "Symposium" nothing more than advertising disguised as "editorial" content.

14. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Be that what it may, I expect some good information from the sessions. I’ll be there, and am looking forward to it.

May even enter some prints in the contest.

Pete

15. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While each potential attendee must make their individual decision about the cost:benefit ratio for them, there are real expenses involved in staging a conference of this nature. Thus, as I suspect the sponsors have a desire to continue to be commercial enterprises, a fee that covers most of those expenses is probably necessary.

16. gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    True, but $300 is ridiculous. $50 would more accurately represent the true cost of holding the meeting and also enable more to attend.

17. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Been there.
    I when to ACCD in the early '80's.
    I would go to the event but I still don't have the Lambo yet.

18. lee

lee Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    as I stated in the Simmons thread, I have no intentions on going as the $300 is just the tip of the iceberg for me. Gas if I drive over 3000 miles or the cost of the airlines ticket will double or triple the cost of the meeting. So, they can put me down as a no show. I would love to attend but not at pawn broker prices.

lee\c

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2005
  19. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would love to go and ask the why the heck they dont have anything going in Mexico. But like Lee said, $300 is the least of the problems.

20. blaze-on

blaze-on Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sponsors typically pay a fee to BE a sponsor, host a booth per se, to promote their business, with hopes of expanding sales or generating new sales.
    350 attendees (providing they fill the bill) at $300 ea. is $105,000.

Seems they want to promote themselves at our cost...and make a profit perhaps. I can't see how this "conference" could possibly cost this much. Cost of facilities rental and guest speakers could be covered by a lesser fee.
    Other expenses are their responsibility under typical marketing/advertising expenditures.

For that amount I expect to see Ansel, Edward, et al reincarnate...

21. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only big L.A. store that is truly committed to B/W photography seems to be Freestyle Photo. They have a good mail order department and deserve our support!

22. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As it is we have to go through third parties and either wait a couple of weeks while they source the order or trawl the high street hoping to find what we are looking for. Even Jessops only keeps two small shelves of chemicals and paper and one small display unit of film in store these days. Is it any wonder (uninformed) people think film is dead?

Things would be a lot simpler if it was possible to order direct from Ilford.

23. thedarkroomstudios

thedarkroomstudios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    *wakes up, looks around* Huh? What? Did someone say Film Ain't Dead?
    You can't seriously knock businesses for doing business can you? If you could direct-order from Ilford there would be a tremendous backlash from retailers... how many dealers switched to PanaVue b/c you can buy PrintFile for below-list direct (whole 'nother discussion about "list" prices then)?
    In an age when margins on all things photographic are increasingly slim it seems it shouldn't be such a horror that Ilford/Calumet stand to potentially earn a reasonable return here. Suppose for a moment that the 100K tossed above is accurate; do they deserve that profit any less than a realtor selling a relatively simple 4 million dollar shore home, an investor choosing when to sell a stock or a state selling an hours' worth of lottery tickets? It may be a hobby for many, but for the rest it is how food is put on the table for the owners, their employees and their families.
    My 2-cents.

-Brad

24. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know they have opened the competition up to anyone who prints silver photographs. There is a fee[$35.00] to send up to 3 prints and then $15.00 each additional print. I understood that you didn't have to attend the conference to enter the competition.

I'm probably replying to an older thread, right?

Kate