Message to Ilford

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Maine-iac, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Friends at Ilford,

I'm a long-time satisfied user of both your film and paper. Thank you for your commitment to black & white photography.

Two requests:

1. Please bring back Delta 400 in 4X5 sheets.

2. Would it be possible to put your Warmtone emulsion on a whiter paper base?
    I've used your warmtone since it came out whenever I want a warm-toned print, and I love the emulsion. I'm a fan of shadow detail, and your warm-tone delivers that wonderfully. However, I often want a slightly less warm, more neutral, but not cool-tone effect. For that Agfa's MCC was my paper of choice.
    If your warm-tone emulsion were available on a whiter base, the resulting paper would be great!

Larry Kalajainen

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good idea. There is a long tradition, going back through Agfa's Record Rapid and Kodak's Illustrator's Special, of warm blacks and clean whites.

The Warmtone base can be pretty murky at times, and I miss MCC !

don

3. bill schwab

bill schwab Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree in comparison to the regular MGIV that the base has a stained and murky look. I actually had complaints on this because the prints looked really stained when mounted to white matt board. It would seem to me though that this has a great deal to do with the warm look of the paper once printed.

Have you tried warming the tone of the MGIV through toning Larry? I've found it works great and I get that nice, white paper base border. I use a very diluted sepia tone coupled with a dash of selenium at the end.

Bill

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When they get the Postcode and other teething problems sorted, the new Ilford Photo site (www.ilfordphoto.com) has a new product request form that should prove popular!

Cheers, Bob.

5. Bruce Watson

Bruce Watson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'll second the request for Delta 400 in 5x4 at least.

6. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too!

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'd also use Delta 400 in sheet sizes (2x3", 4x5", 5x7", 8x10", 11x14").

8. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    What happened to the $50 deduction for Ilford's Silver Conferenence?

9. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, my feelings exactly. I have only purchased one pkt of warmtone for this reason (still haven't used it all either). Same reason I use Agfa Viradon rather then Kodak Sepia toner, the whites are less affected.

10. Robert Hall

Robert Hall Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Just call them up. Tell them you want the APUG discount.

11. JohnArs

JohnArs Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also wanted the Delta 100 and 400 ASA in all sizes up to at least 8x10!
    It is very important that a company has the whole sizes up to 8x10 on 400 ASA I take Kodak TMY 400 because i can get it up to 8x10 from 35mm!
    I would imidiatly change to Delta if I get it up to 8x10!!!!!!!
    Don't like HP 5 so much especially on the smaller sizes!

12. Maine-iac

Maine-iac Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It's not just the color of the print that I'm after; I switched from MG IV as my standard neutral/cool-toned paper to Agfa MCC because I got much better shadow detail with the Agfa emulsion. I don't know why exactly, since I'm not privy to the details of their emulsion chemistry, but I'd guess it's chloro-bromide vs. straight bromide. I get the same kind of detailed shadows with Ilford's Warm Tone, but the off-white base makes for a different overall effect. I've done comparison prints of the same negative on MG IV, Agfa MCC, and MGWT, and in all cases, the Agfa and the MGWT show detail in the darker shadow areas that MG IV does not. If the detail is there on my neg, I want to see it in the print unless I have an aesthetic reason not to.

I want those detailed luminous shadows that the warmer chlorobromide emulsion gives combined with a slightly cooler overall color that a whiter base provides. I've tried Bergger, Forte, Kentmere, etc., with no luck in finding that combo. That's why toning alone doesn't do it for me.

Larry

13. sanderx1

sanderx1 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Delta 100 is already made in sheet film sizes up to at least 8x10 if not larger.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    As much as I loved 400 Delta in sheet sizes it isn't an equivalent film to TMAX 400. So all things considered for me I will stick with TMY even if 400 Delta is reintroduced in sheet sizes.

Don Bryant

16. Josef Guay

Josef Guay Subscriber

I agree with the previous posts that the base of Ilford's warmtone fiber paper is too warm. I would prefere a neutral white base. One reason to use a warmtone paper is to use a gold toner for blue tones. I don't like the look of blue tones over a warm base.

17. Lachlan Young

Lachlan Young Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Multigrade cooltone on a bright white fiber base!

Lachlan

18. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OK Guys...you want a cooler warmtone, or was that a warmer cooltone....

Seriously, a whiter base means more optical brighteners, remember its Baryta, that affects the performance of the product, in saying that you know one of the products we are looking at ( R&D only at this stage NOT A PRODUCT ) is a COOLTONE FB, which would be designed with a bright white base.

Regards Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology.

As to Sheet DELTA 400, I will have a look at the numbers, you guys and gals have got or sheet cutters going crazy....

19. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a good thing isn't it?

20. brian steinberger

brian steinberger Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    It's definatley a good thing!! This thread is over a year old, but I would still love to see Delta 400 in 4x5 sheets! I'm sure alot of others too! Simon, please take another look!

21. skygzr

skygzr Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can only assume that Delta 400 4x5 was dropped because it wasn't making any money for Ilford. Maybe the climate is different now.

22. photo8x10

photo8x10 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I would like to have Delta 400 in 5x7" - 8x10" - or bigger, I've never use Delta films in sheet but only in 35mm and for me are fantastic.
    I usually use FP4+ and HP5+ but I hope early to start to use also Delta 100(I find it with difficult in Italy in 8x10).
    Best
    Stefano

23. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

Just to let you know I have read it...

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

24. Colin Graham

Colin Graham Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Delta 400 in sheet sizes...that would be very nice

25. rusty71

rusty71 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't Change MG Warm Tone!

I for one, would be really sad to see Ilford MG warm tone changed. We've seen all of AGFA's warm tone papers disappear, particularly Portriga Rapid, and kodak dumped Ektalure. Ilford's offering is exactly what a warmtone paper should be-warm! In fact I remember when it first came out, and a lot of us complained the base was TOO white. Ilford responded by removing the optical brighteners or at least toning them down. I recall washing it for hours to leech out some of the brightener. The regular MGIV tones very well in selenium to a cool color, and MG warmtone splits very nicely in Selenium.
    I respect other's opinion, but if you want a neutral or cool tone paper, chlorobromide emulsions are just not your cup of tea. I really like the natural baryta base. It gives images a classic 1930's look.

26. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format