Metal beer bottles to store film developer?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Trask, Feb 13, 2013.

1. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Today I noticed that C**rs beer comes in screw-top metal bottles, so it occurred to me that I could possibly use them to store developer after disposing of the original contents (!). They're opaque to light, must be impervious to air passing through them, can be screwed tight shut -- what's not to like? Plus they old around 470 ml, which is a pretty useful amount (I wonder if this stuff comes in metal quart bottles?). And you'd have rapid heat transfer if you needed to heat or cool the solution. I'm only wondering how the bottle itself, or any sort of food-safe inner liner, might react to the chemicals in a developer.

If I were in a college town, I could go dumpster diving behind a frat house and be set for life with these things.

Anyone got any thoughts on the viability of using these to store chems?

2. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i'd be careful if it is aluminum
    it will plate out silver and plate in aluminum

plastic or glass seems to be best ...

3. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember that some or most beer cans (Aluminum containers), are inner coated.
    I'd stick with jnanian's suggestion - plastic or glass.
    For heating, water bath is preferred, rather then directly heating the vessel.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2013
  4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And if you do this with glass vessels, make sure they are not tightly closed, so that when the liquid expands (due to the increased temperature), the glass shatters and the contents go everywhere. Ask me how I know this.

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Before disposing of the contents, I'd check with the local authorities to make sure it isn't classed as hazardous waste :tongue:

Glass bottles are pretty much the norm for storing chemicals in, and they can often be purchased from a dispensing chemist for a pittance.

6. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Storing chemicals in something like beer bottles is asking for trouble next time Uncle Phil (you know, the one with the bad eyesight?) comes over. Keep Poison Control phone number handy. :smile:

7. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'd first check with one of the local college fraternities and ask what kind of cheap rotgut they drink,
    because those containers would probably handle anything corrosive or otherwise abominable. But seriously ... those can are lined with something specific; and it might not get along with your darkroom
    chemistry. If it does all go bad, just sell it to the frats.

8. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I really wanted metal to allow fast heat transfer, I'll look at the stainless steel water bottles. Not free, but at least you don't have to drink bad beer to get them. :smile:

9. Robert Ley

Robert Ley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I mix up a batch of XTOL I put it in 12oz and 16oz beer bottles and then cap it with a capper left over from my home brewing days. I fill them up to the top and then cap them. I haven't had a problem yet and with the small amount of air in the top, the developer seems to last a good long time. I may start doing this with dektol next.

10. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    What will Dektol do to the fermentation of the hops?

11. Trask

Trask Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey, all good points, folks. I too believe the bottles are coated internally, and that the developer may well eat its way through that coating in short order.

Maybe I'll sacrifice some developer when I finally get set up in a few months just to find out what actually happens...

12. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    40oz beer bottles are brown glass and also come with screw tops!

13. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Get a 6-pack of Grolsch. The bottles are dark and re-sealable, and the beer is great! Much (and I mean MUCH) better than that p*sswater C**rs.

-- Mark

14. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or Fischer (sp?); the bottles are brown. BTW, the rubber seals for the Grolsch and Fischer bottles will degrade over time, but replacements can be purchased at almost any homebrew shop. In fact, you can often find new swing top bottles there.

15. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess it goes without saying that you should label the bottles so there is no mistaking the contents.