Meter Light / Pocket Spot

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Curt, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all, I don't know which forum meters should be so please relocate it if it's not in the right spot.

Questions of the day for me:

Does anyone have a Pocket Spot Meter and what do you think of it?
    Would you buy one again if you had the chance?
    If not which other meter would you get?

Thank you,
    Curt

2. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Love it. Buy it again ? Yep.

Not great for shooting in the dark.

3. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I have several "spot" meters, none of them fits easiily into a pocket: I usually have it hanging around my neck on a lanyard or strap.:D

I think they are the best thing since sliced bread, and I wouldn't be without one (that's why I have so many already -in case I lose one or two:tongue:)

I'm always open to the possibiity of adding to my collection, but the trouble is they tend to be expensive around here.:sad:

4. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I love mine. the best for travel. A beautiful piece of work.

5. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's two positive and one for spot meters in general.

Anyone else to persuade me?

6. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm waiting for my second (because I want two, and not because of any problem).

Great construction. Accurate. Tough.

7. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Curt,

Just remember the meter (spot or otherwise) will not think for you, it will simply render the spot you meter as medium gray: you will have to use it "intelligently".:tongue:

However, the spot meters make it easier to do so by letting you see exactly what it is you are metering (integrating meters fudge the issue), then you can decide how it is to be rendered in your shot.:smile:

8. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes this is true, I was specifically asking about a meter called the "Pocket Spot" by Metered Light and not spot meters in general though.

Regards,
    Curt

9. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    (blackberry curve)

Didn't they stop making those years ago? I was looking into getting one last year and couldn't track it down.

10. Galah

Galah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry, I wasn't aware of this model:sad:

36cm2, check this link:

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2009
  11. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    From everything I have seen it looks like a great solution for those who want to travel light or shed some bulk. The only problem is getting one. I sure wish I knew how long the list was and if it will really take over a year to get one?

12. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Galah, no problem at all, it's a spot meter after all and what you said was exactly right. Thanks,
    Curt

13. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They did when they couldn't fine a new machinist that would fulfill their stringent requirements of accuracy and delivery.

14. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes well that's the case, I put my name on the list way over a year ago and just got an email saying that my name was now at the top of the "LIST" as they put it. I was interested for a couple of years so it's a long haul. They did state that overseas deliveries will be coming soon so maybe the list is getting taken care of and they will have models out to the public. I can get two, they have to be black and the second one will have to wait until the list is taken care of.

They made a list and kept it, it seems very fair, you can email them and they do get back to you. With my bad back I wanted a meter that was as good as my Zone IV but was light. This one seems to be the answer.

Curt

15. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Curt, thanks for explaining the "list." It all seemed to be so mysterious and that if you just said the right things to the right people you would get one. Apparently nothing sinister is going on and no Orcs will be visiting those on the list. Let me know how you like the meter when you get it.

16. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    (blackberry curve)

Wow, definitely get this thing and make me jealous. That's awesome. I'll be joining the list shortly.

17. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Their list has been kept, and they've checked it twice or more. So just hope you've been nice.

This is a hobby/side business for a couple of geeky engineer types. True cottage-industry type stuff. I was impressed they actually went through with this second (at least) run of these things. I got one of their pre-production ones from this run and aside from cosmetics, it's perfect. I wish I could find a MF camera this bomb-proof and simple to use, with such high specs and reasonable cost.

18. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well Terence this is what I'm hoping for because as I get older the less baggage I want to carry, in more ways than one. I do wish them well as the manufacturing base of our country is definitely in the dumps these days. For a couple of guys in California to come up with a smaller and perhaps better version of a common tool is outstanding to say the least.

Curt

19. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    These look great. I'd love to get one, but dang they are expensive.

20. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea Tim I've had several years to mull over the price but tonight I sent the money. I'm not rich or have a lot of spending money to put on "toys" but I've talked it over with my wife and she said go ahead and get it. I explained the reasons to her and she thought it sounded reasonable. The NuArc unit that's being delivered tomorrow is another thing, she knows what it will do but wonders what's with me needing such a piece of equipment and making such a fuss about it. Maybe I should do a Carbon print portrait of her and my son from an 8x10 negative I took some time back but haven't printed yet.

I think when I get the light meter I'll put the lanyard around my neck and never take it off.:D The problem I have with my Soligor is that it's too big and bulky to fit in my pocket, maybe that's why Fred Picker produced the leather belt holster for it. I guess that carbon fiber tripod will have to wait for a few months or I'll need to have garage sale.

All I can say is put your name on the list and start putting away those twenty dollar bills, by the time you have enough one will be available. Unless they go into full production then I don't have an answer.

Regards to all for the information, support and interest,
    Curt

21. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've only been on the list a couple months and am reluctant to sell my other meters (to fund the new one) because I can't be stuck w/o one. I wish the pocket spot had flash capability. It is expensive but in the long run will be cheaper than most meters since it never needs to be calibrated. Most places charge $50-75 to look at your meter whether it needs calibration or not. The only meter I know of that you can calibrate yourself is the minolta F, which I own.

22. df cardwell

df cardwell Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Pocket Spot is my photo jewelry. It's convenience has given me a new way to do location portraits,
    to make my incident reading to put the faces where I want them (quickly) and then sweep the background with the Spot to see the contrast range of the shot.

The single thng the P Spot is no good for is shooting a stage or night club because you can't see the dial.
    But the readout is easy to see, of course, and if you learn your numbers, you can set the camera without the dial.

Great machine.