Methyl Cellulose as sizing for gum bichromate

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Lyn Arnold, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Has anyone used, or know about, methyl cellulose as a sizing solution for gum bichromate? Are there any long term detrimental effects on the paper with methyl cellulose?

I want to make some gums over the weekend and have no gelatine. I coated a few sheets of Bergger COT with a dilute solution of methyl cellulose and some formalin added just prior to coating. The paper is now dry and there seems to be no yellowing.

Have searched the archives but can't find any information about sizing with methyl cellulose.

2. ced

ced Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. BBMOR

BBMOR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey

CMC (carboxymethyl cellulose) is used as a sising agent in the paper industry ,i personnaly sold them >10000T but i do not have experience in using it for gum printing ,may be it is possible

JM

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Methyl cellulose was recommended to me as an adhesive for "T-hinging" watercolor paintings on paper when mounting and framing. As I understand it, it is acid free, archival and reversible for such use. The fact that it's reversible presumably means it's water soluble. So it should be fine for paper, but I have no idea about the gum dichromate part.

5. Lyn Arnold

Lyn Arnold Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you all.

I hope to put the sizing to the test over the weekend. Will upload images if the prints are acceptable.

Lyn