Metz Flash fault. Is it worth repairing?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Craig Griffiths, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Last night I was probably a little over enthusiastic using a Metz 45 CL-1 and managed to have it stop working on me. The ready light illuminates however I cannot activate the flash at all. I have tried new batteries, recharging the old battery pack etc all to no avail.

So the question is whether it is worth repairing or just replacing it. Or is there something simple I can try.

Thanks

2. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Craig,

I do not know how old it is, but that is otherwise a high-class flashgun and should be repaired. You may have fired it too much and overheated it. I'm sure that Metz has seen that before. BTW, I love my 45CL4-Digital; it works with every camera I own.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does the manual firing button cause the flash to work?

If so, I would check the synch cord connections.

4. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If ready light comes on, charging circuit is working, so it's not the batteries. If you have a multi-meter, you can test the cord. (do you?)

5. Craig Griffiths

Craig Griffiths Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    the manual fire button does not set off the flash, and I have tested the cord and all is good with the cord.

Any other suggestions?

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1) Don't get into it, It's got about 350V stored in the main capacitor. The leads from the cap go directly to the ends of the flash tube.
    *Three things may have failed, trigger coil, trigger cap or the flash tube itself.
    *The current is nominal but 350V shows how fast your hand can move when you're not expecting it.

7. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These days you can get an used and working 45 CT1 for under 20 Euro. Almost for the same price you will get a CT3 or for little more (50-80 EUR) a 45-CT4 with second light. (Situation in Europe, don't know about the avaibility of used Metz flashes in the US.) So repair is economically only worth if it is just something to resolder inside the flash. In your case it seems it is the tube itself.

You could ask Metz directly. They respond fast and are very helpful.

8. 3DJack

3DJack Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is this thread still alive? My Metz 58 AF-2 tube has failed and I'm in the process of replacing it. Is it worth me describing the process? Is anyone interested?
    Jack

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How do you know that it is the tube? I have a lot of small flash units, hardly any faults and so far not a tube.

10. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i agree that finding a used Metz today is more economic than the repair cost...minimum charge to diagnose unit will probably approach $100 (although this is applied to actual repairs that you authorize). eBay has higher end units (45CT3, etc.) available for about $35-60

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016