Mexico- any problems bringing gear in and out?

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by Early Riser, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm considering a trip to Mexico and I was wondering if there are any issues bringing in a good sized case full of camera gear and film. Flight wise it'll all be carry-on, but many years ago I heard horror stories about bringing gear there so I figured I'd see if anyone had more recent experiences.

Thanks.

2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Your biggest concern is going to be theft. We used to live right by the border. Mexico is a poor, impoverished country and I would not bring anything that would attract attention or be worth much.

3. Rlibersky

Rlibersky Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am interested in this as well. I'll be in the Based out of Cancun. Last time I was there, 10 years ago, it was not a problem bringing my Mamiya 645. But not sure today. Everything I've read is the Cancun and surrounding area is generally safe. Any one been there recently?

Early riser, when and where are you thinking of going?

4. spijker

spijker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went to Mexico for a 2 week Christmas holiday last year (2012/2013). I brought my DSLR with 3 lenses and a Mamiya 645 Pro with 2 lenses. All packed in a backpack as carry-on. We flew to Cancun and stayed in an apartment in Puerto Morelos, no resorts. No problems at all. We felt very safe at all times. The locals were very friendly. Some of my images in the gallery are from that trip. We did a similar trip around Christmas in 2009 but then we drove all around the Yucatan peninsula with a rental car and stayed in local hotels. Again no problems at all. There were many checkpoints by the police or military on the roads but they never gave us a hard time. We had a little party with a local family on the street of Palenque, drinking tequila, banging the Piñata‎ and lighting some fireworks at midnight. Our biggest worry was the Topes, massive speedbumps that could easily wreck the car, specially when driving at night.

Have a nice trip!

Menno

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2014
  5. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    [Moderator's note: reply to deleted post deleted.]

To the OP.I had no issue with bringing in camra equipment, taking it out or having it stolen. it is a country rich in cultureand warm welcoming people. I wish ,I could say this about the US,but then again,there areunpleasent people in all countries. have a successful trip and plenty of good photo opportunities.:smile:

6. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have traveled all over Mexico with high end photo gear. Absolutely no problem. Mexican border towns are not representative of the rest of Mexico for the most part.

7. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    I lived in Mexico City for years and never had an issue with my Leica or Rolleiflex (which I purchased there.) I've known many photographers who live there with very high end gear and don't have issues either. Obviously the same precautions you would take in a large US city apply.

The one issue I sometimes have is convincing airport officials to not x-ray my film, but in the end I always get them to do a hand inspection. Film is expensive and there is less variety there so I would bring it with you.

Enjoy Mexico, it's a wonderful country and the people are great!

Where in Mexico are you heading?

8. Davomx

Davomx Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am from Mexico, so the question is, which cities do you plan to visit and what kind of shooting?

9. Early Riser

Early Riser Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

San Miguel de Allende.

Thanks for all the replies.

10. wy2l

wy2l Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I strongly recommend you check with the US Department of State web site for travler's advisories before entering Mexico.

11. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have been to Mexico City, Oaxaca and Patzcuaro carrying tripod and camera bag full of Rolleiflex stuff in the last 6 years and never had any sense of menace or danger. Except being stopped by the police and told to be careful going down one particular street in Mexico City and being stopped by an old lady and warned not to go down another particular street in Patzcuaro. Otherwise I feel safer there than in the US. Same thing in lots of little surrounding villages. Traveled by bus, cab and public transportation.
    Dennis

12. mexipike

mexipike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    You'll be fine!

I haven't been to San Miguel de Allende in years but when I was there it was a very tame quiet town. It's very touristy and there are lots of expats, which is not necessarily a bad thing. I'm pretty sure they are there for good reason, it's gorgeous. The locals are friendly and the light is incredible there!

I would bring whatever camera you want and take lots and lots of pictures. You're biggest risk of theft is probably a hippie backpacker!

13. PeterAM

PeterAM Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  14. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    According to the Mexican government, each person is only allowed to bring in one camera and a limited amount of film (12 rolls? Look to be sure; I just read it last week, however). How literal the authorities are on this issue, I have no idea. I've only spent about six hours in Mexico and they didn't look at my gear (we crossed the border on foot from California).