MF for hiking trip

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Doc W, May 26, 2014.

1. Doc W

Doc W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am going to the UK in the fall to walk St. Cuthbert's Way. Although I am mainly a LF guy, it would be too much to backpack an 8x10 or even a 4x5 for this hike (at my age), so I am thinking of a lightweight MF. My current MF camera is an RB67 and it is a bit of pig to carry on a long hike. I can't afford a Mamiya 7 at this point, which would be my first choice. So what is left? I don't want an older folder and I don't need TTL. Folks keep telling me about the Fujis - 6x7 and 6x9 - which sound quite interesting and affordable. Any thoughts on these and others I don't know about? .

2. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would get a TLR.

3. snapguy

snapguy Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    agree

I agree. Nuff said.

4. Nuff

Nuff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :whistling:

5. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Fuji GSW690 is an absolutely SPECTACULAR landscape camera. Find one in good shape and it will pretty much deliver the goods. I took a GSW690 to Asia as well as across the US. 24" X 36" prints looked as good as anything I have ever made. I can't recommend this camera enough.

6. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    what's ur prejudice against an older folder? A Super Ikonta B of post-war vintage would only set you back a few hundred dollars, has prime optics and excellent mechanics and will do as good a job as a mamiya 7 without the metering, which you probably don't need anyway.

if it were me and i had to pick a fuji, i'd go with the 67 just for film "economy" and a more universally useful negative size. I've not seen anything negative about them.

7. Dan Daniel

Dan Daniel Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Here's a Rolleiflex 2.8C next to a Fuji GS690 (the 670 is the same body, just different mask and frame spacing). The Fuji lens can't be seen here but it projects forward a good distance-

6412625943_66e076b76d_z.jpg

If you've been shooting 4x5 and 8x10, I'd recommend getting the Fuji. Unless you've been cropping your large format to squares all these years. Fuji also made a 680 model.

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  8. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I also will go for an TLR.

Jeff

9. Simon Howers

Simon Howers Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When I went Egypt, I packed a Zeiss Ikon 6x9 on 120 folding camera. Lightweight and excellent picture quality.

10. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you're hiking weight really is an issue. I would bring a TLR.

11. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe Holga/Diana F? Or this is not for you?

ps. For ones that will say those are not serious cameras - look at Micheal Kenna :wink:.

12. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holga: It is a magic to shoot with holga. Put an yellow filter and you are there...

Folders(6x6 or 6x9): Agfa Isolette, Zeiss Ikon Ikontas and you name it. Get one with good bellows.

TLR(pref., Rolleicord for its weight): But it is always awkward to change the film. :-(

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
  13. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use an old folder. Perhaps a Bessa II or maybe even the Bessa RF. Both 6X9 format and lighter than many of your other choices.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I go with a Fuji 645Zi. The zoom range is small but it's still better than a fixed lens camera. Good meter built in. Very sharp lens that will focus to 1 meter. A great travel camera that's pretty much replaced my folders and 2x3 Graphic for general travel use.

16. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see recommendations for TLR's here, but I for one would not want to pack my Mamiya C-220 or C-330 and lenses for a pack trip, I would just as soon take my 4x5 on a trip. My thoughts turn to a good older 6x9 or a 6x6 folder. My personal carry is a pre-1950 Mamiya-6 folder that fits in the cargo pocket of my trousers or my jacket pocket.

17. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For hiking I carry an Mamyia 6, not the new version, but the folder, very light weight, slips into a backback with a few SVI filters and lens hood. Much more compact than a TLR.

18. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would also suggest a Fuji GA645. It's nifty, sharp and affordable.

19. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am going to have to echo this opinion. When it comes to travel it is hard to beat the Fuji GA645 or the GA645zi. It may not be the smallest camera (a folder will be more compact) but they can take a serious beating in the same way an older Canon Rebel can take a beating. Really great for plane rides, extended backpacking, or times when you don't want to treat a camera delicately.

20. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A Rolleiflex is nice as one can use the self-timer and/or make easy double exposures -- features missing on a lot of other MF cameras.

I often take one on backpacking trips. Just came back from a three-night trip into the Trinity Alps. Took the Minolta TLR this time (the Rollei needs servicing).

21. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You have some great suggestions in this thread. To add to your choices, I would suggest a Mamiya 645 in a basic configuration (turning crank and focusing hood). For me, I typically use a Mamiya 645 Pro with a WG402 and metered prism. Handles just like a 35mm SLR. However, the MF folders and MF range finders are the lightest options.

22. ToddB

ToddB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    TLR..

23. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would skip the mamiya 645. I have one, its a nice camera, but its too heavy for hiking long distances, the 45mm lens itself weighs quite a bit. You want something you can sling over your neck with a backpack on. Also fiddling with lens changes seems cool when you are in front of a computer, but when you are loaded down on the trail and stopto try to swap lenses in and out of a bag is pretty clumsy. I suppose LF people would laugh at that but its even more irritating if you have other people with you that just want to keep moving.

Go single lens, either TLR or rangefinder. I have been looking at the same question, but for traveling with two kids in Europe. No way I am lugging my mamiya around. I am hoping to score a good deal on a fuji wide angle myself. I havent held one, but comparing the size of the 45mm glass on the mamiya and the fuji 645w is pretty telling.

24. pgomena

pgomena Member

I owned a Fuji 6x9 for a few years and found it to be an outstanding camera. At f/3.5, the 90mm lens is a little slow, but it is a well balanced camera that is easily hand-held. The lens was the sharpest I've ever used, bar none. I found the 90mm a little wide for my taste, and the shutter setup for long exposures was a pain. (You have to cover the lens and advance the film or cover the lens and advance the shutter speed ring to close it after time exposures. Fiddling with either method was annoying.) The plastic bodies on the later models is light and rugged. I sold mine only because I did not use it enough and built my Hasselblad system instead.

25. EdSawyer

EdSawyer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji GSW690III would be an ideal choice.

26. 02Pilot

02Pilot Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know the OP indicated he doesn't want an old folder (why?), but I'll just say that when I looked into an easily portable MF camera for hiking and biking, I ended up buying a Voigtländer Perkeo II. It's absolutely tiny, and the Color Skopar lens is very capable. My other alternative is my pre-war Rolleiflex (smaller and lighter than the later models), but it's much more obtrusive than the Perkeo. All depends on what your personal limits are for weight and size, I suppose.