MF History - Any Cameras Cover All Four Popular Sizes? (6x4.5 - 6x9)

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by kerne, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kerne

kerne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was reading a book today (yep, made from real dead trees) on camera history and got to wondering if there were any MF cameras designed and made (possibly with masks) to cover all the major MF sizes - 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9. I wouldn't expect such a beast to stray much further into the panoramic class - 6x12 or higher, but that would be interesting.

I know several folders have masks to cover both 6x4.5 and 6x6 or similar arrangements. But aside from fabricating masks for my own 6x9 Ikonta folder, was there ever a model designed specifically to cover all four sizes?

Cheers,
    -- David N.

2. Joachim_I

Joachim_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Probably not what you are looking for but the Sinar Zoom 2 multi-format rollfilm back for large format cameras allows you to shoot 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12.

3. Barry S

Barry S Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Mamiya Super 23 and Universal press cameras have backs that cover all four sizes. There were 6x9 and 6x7 dedicated backs and a convertible back that could be switched between 6x4.5, 6x6, and 6x9. They may have also made a 6x12 back in very limited quantities, but they're as rare as unicorns.

4. kerne

kerne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah yes, the Mamiya Universal. Forgot about that classic. Almost bought one a few years ago too.

Thanks.

5. jnoir

jnoir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Without interchangeable backs or adapters, there is none AFAIK.

6.5x9 plate cameras can also do that by means of rollfilm adapters.

6. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of the mainstream but Zero Image does have a pinhole that will handle those sizes.

7. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only slightly astray from the subject.
    A question for the Mamiya, RB'rs out there; did Mamiya make a 6 X 6 back for the RB?

If they did, then with the RB, (Pro SD needed for 6 X 8 back use), you could
    shoot four sizes with a RB: 6 X 8...6 X 7...6 X 6...and 645.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes, there is an RB 6x6 back, but not very common. Otherwise, the Internets says a Graflex RH12 back will fit. In this case, maybe a Baby Speed with corresponding backs would be a nice alternative.

Well, okay, I would like to have one of those, anyway! :smile:

9. TimmyMac

TimmyMac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    GX680III will do 645-6x8. It can also be used to hammer railroad spikes or as a wrecking ball if necessary.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does it rotate? Being the sort of person who sometimes turns a 6x6 folder through ninety degrees to get a better composition, I would appreciate that option!

Steve.

11. Alastair_I

Alastair_I Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rotating a 6x6 folder I can fully understand :D

But no need with the RB..

12. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had a friend that bought a Russian folder after reading an article in one of the forums, and from what I remember having looked at it, I believe it had three formats available and self masking by selection. I know for sure it had two at least which I believe were 6x7 and 6x9 and I think the 3rd one was 6x6. From what I recall he sold it off after seeing the results. Maybe someone here knows of the model.

13. Hikari

Hikari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Gilde 66-17 MST will shoot all the formats from 6x6 to 6x17. It has an internal mask and so you can switch formats in mid-roll. Naturally, view cameras can shoot many format by changing the back--Sinar made a back that goes from 6x4.5 to 6x12. The new Fuji rangefinders will do both 6x6 and 6x7. Holga will do 6x4.5 and 6x6.

14. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I didn't even know it worked as a camera!

15. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Would that be 90 degrees left, right, up, or down?

16. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    We have a GX680(I) that students can check out -- I usually suggest that they not try to hand-hold it! :D The Rolleicords and the Fuji 6x7 see more use for that reason. But the GX680 is an impressive machine! Unless there are different backs, our early GX680 is just 6x8.

Vaughn

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Usually right (or clockwise) although I have taken a few pictures of the sky and my feet (though not at the same time).

Steve.

18. GS_Jean

GS_Jean Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Don't know a quadri-format MF camera.
    But dual-format with automatic film advance and exposure counter functioning for both formats, switchable in mid-roll, is the amazing (and uncommon) Bessa 466, launched in 1938.
    A true technology marvel from it's time!

19. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a Horseman VH and used all of those sizes on it. In addition to the horseman 6x9 back and sheet holders, it took all the RB backs, 645 through 6x8, so it was easy.

The RB has a 6x8 back, so... close to 6x9 but not quite!

The main issue with a camera covering all these formats and doing it well is that for smaller formats you typically want better corrected lenses with smaller image circle, whereas for larger format you could usually care less. This is the classic lens advanateg versus format advantage debate. Mind you, some of the lenses can do both and quite admirably.