MF with a reguler viewfinder....

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Sagelike, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Sagelike

Sagelike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm working with a Rollei TLR now. Love it to death.

However I would like to get another MF with a regular viewfinder.

I rather not get an eye level viewfinder for my Rollei because it doesn't feel natural to shoot that way. Would like to get something that feels like a 35mm. I'll probably be using it for a lot of street photography.

Can I get some suggestions on a MF camera that has an eye level viewfinder and also stays as close as possible to 6X6 format.

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rangefinder or SLR?

3. Sagelike

Sagelike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Either is fine.

I need to look at all my options.

4. Resoman

Resoman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Mamiya 6 is a great complement to a twin lens Rollei. They're my two favorite (and most used) MF cameras.

Gary,

East Snook, TX

5. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RF: Mamiya 6 or 7; certain folders (the old Mamiya Six, etc), Rapid-Omega, Mamiya Press, Fuji 6x7/8/9

SLR: Pentacon 6, Kiev 60, Pentax 67

There are a few 645 options as well.

6. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The classic description of the Pentax 67 is a "35mm on steroids". It's 1 mm more than a 6x6 of course, but you don't have to print the extra mm. However, sometimes that slightly larger neg is welcome. It's also a rather heavy SLR with a mirror slap and shutter shake that's nearly seismic, but, on a tripod using mirror lock-up it is a superb camera. I think for hand held street shooting, the Mamiya 6 or 7 is probably the best choice.

7. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Umm...I believe that should be 1 cm more than 6x6

8. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Umm...I believe you're right. Sorry about that, chief! :wink:

9. r-brian

r-brian Member

Bronica SQA with the prism finder and Speedgrip. Handles as easy as a 35mm SLR. I love my setup.

10. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wasn't there a cigarette commercial that goes "a silly millimeter longer" or something like that?

11. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it is a Rolleiflex, then some of the models had an optional prism that you could put on them. Probably cost you as much as a nice Mamiya RB or RZ system, but it might be more valueable to you than just simply functional.

12. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would recommend the Mamiya 7 or 6. I have a couple of the Fujis - the 6x7 and 6x9 w/wide angle. But for street photogy, I think the Mamiyas are more flexible and a lighter system.

gene

13. Sagelike

Sagelike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

After hearing some of the suggestions and talking to some other people I figured I would look into these two types

Mamiya RZ/RB
    Bronica SQ series

They seem to fit my budget and practical needs.

Before I head out and do a search for this here, can I hear some opinions of what would work best for me in terms of working with street photography.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  14. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    RB/RZ is not going to be light for street. It might be fun, and attract people, but it won't be light!

15. Sagelike

Sagelike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So Bronica is the way to go then huh?!

Hmmmm.....

I was looking into the rangefinders. But the price and the fact that I would have to figure out where my frame is because of the viewfinder kinda kills the deal.

16. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could also go with a TLR and prism, Rollei or Mamiya, depending on your budget/availability if you want 6x6. Bronica models (6x6 or 645) should work with prisms too. In the realm of 645, you could also go with a Mamiya 645AF.

17. Sagelike

Sagelike Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am still looking into a prism for my Rolleicord. But in terms of street photography and catching those quick shots it would still be too clunky.
    I need something that essentially handles like a 35mm.

Now isn't the thing with the 645's that they measure 6x4.5cm, as in the Mamiya 645 and Bronica 645?

18. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    However I would like to get another MF with a regular viewfinder.

In eye level viewfinder and also stays as close as possible to 6X6 format.

The Ukrainian Kiev 88 or its most modern version comes with a prism finder with a meter in it, in addition to the WL. I bought one years ago to see if I could be comfortable with a Hasselblad-shaped camera before I sprung big bucks. As an old TLR, WL finder fiend, I just was not sure about using it with the eye level prism, since I have a Pentax 6x7 I just love. I found the "Hasselbladski" so much fun to use, I just have not gotten around to replacingit. I did add a rapid wind crank--cost about forty-five bucks from Arax. Considering that you can buy the outfit for about four hundred bucks, including shipping, it's really a pretty good deal, since it includes two backs, and a set of filters as well. And I must admit to a certain reverse snob appeal shooting with it. Kiev camera in GA sells them, checked for quality control, with a return guarantee if not satisfied. Mine came from overseas. It's been ok for me. Google RuGift if you want to deal overseas. They have been very good for me and Arax has a great reputation as well.

19. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The negatives; not the camera! :D

20. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Rolleicords did not have a prism, only the Rolleiflex as far as I know.

21. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Graphlex XL, too. Although I don't often use the RF, it works fine when I do. It allows 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 depending on the back you use, and there is, if you can find it, even a 4x5.

22. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Neither. Of the two I'd choose the Bronica but there are other choices for street.

Fuji made small 645 rangefinders. The later models had all modern comforts.

Or if you want a bigger negative the 6x9 Fujis.

In some ways the Pentax 645 is a great snap shot camera. Built in meter,winder and prism.

Any of the system cameras can be outfitted with the finder of your choice.

23. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a 645 with wlf and metered prism and the prism is on it most of the time now, it's not that heavy. I have an RB67 with the wlf and a prism, the prism is very heavy and since it doesn't have a meter in it I'm not sure what value it is other than bringing the camera up to eye level, the wlf is going to be on that camera most of the time.

For street shooting, which I don't do anymore, I could use my Nikon F3hp. The big problem with street shooting with big mirror cameras is the klump, klump of the mirror. If I had to do some street type of thing today it would probably be with my Busch 23 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and a roll film back. That's what it was made for. Leaf shutter and RF, no mirror just a work horse.