MG IV PEARL RC -V- FB

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bruce Osgood, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does anyone know of a Fiber paper that has the apperance of Ilfords RC Pearl paper? I like the look of the Pearl but prefer using Fiber.

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To my experience the glossy fiber papers have more of the appearance of pearl than RC gloss. I've compared Ilford MGD IV RC pearl which I use reguraly to the FB glossy variety and the difference is slight.

3. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you arigram,
    Have you tried Fiber MATT? I think it is used for hand coloring but it may simply be flatter than gloss. Any idea?

4. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use Forte glossy and let it dry on its own - It has a shiny pearl look to it - but not the coarse cobblestone plastic look - it is smoother.

5. panchromatic

panchromatic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used the ilford MGIV FB Matt, and I like the tonality of it, i have not toned or colored it so i don't know how it willl handle, one thing i did notice it the dry down effect, which i never noticed with RC. Also i've talked to a lot of people who do not like the ilford mgiv fb matt because it is "too matt" it is in fact REALLY flat, but i don't mind it. Though i do want to try the glossy fb.

6. JBDeal

JBDeal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would say Oriental VC might be what you are looking for. I have used Oriental G3. By far the best have used. The finish should be about the same. Ilford FB MGIV WT semi-matt is in my experience is very flat with no sheen at all. It takes KRST very well and will go purple-brown at 7-10 min. at 1:9 though. The color change is dramatic and a effect I liked. Freestyle is supposed to release a new line a EDU & Premium papers this month. They may have something that suits your need.